Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on what is the best available 7.62X54R that is currently for sale. Please keep responses to ammo I can order today, not what was available 10 years ago. I am looking to get some ammo to put away for later use out of some PSL's.
Thanks, Ken

·
Administrator
3,480 Posts
I really like the Bulgarian light ball that Sportsmans Guide has right now. Fair price for todays market and it looks like it was made yesterday. Shoots great too.

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
There are several threads discussing the best/suitable ammo for use in a PSL, here on the Ammo Board and on the Sniper Board and AK Board. If you do a search, you'll turn them up.

Basically, you want to shoot only light ball through a PSL. There's the Czech LB from AIM (though it's not the silver tip that's usually recommended), and the Soviet ST LB from R-Guns (which is recommended for a PSL); and from a non-sponsor, more Soviet LB and some Bulgarian LB (suitability unknown to me) from J&G Sales; just to name a few sources. Its availability is sporadic now, but if you can find it, Polish ST LB is an excellent alternative.

·
Banned
540 Posts
The com bloc 54r that Century has for 78.87 per 440 is the best light ball available now.Its 1980's russian.Its pretty cheap considering that Century has a flat rate shipping of 12.95 or free shipping if you order over 500.00.

Either Ammolab or Louie always say " the bulgarian 1980's light ball is good if not better than the 80's russian. " How is the bulgarian better ? Them using the russian ammo as a benchmark shows how good the russian 54r is.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perplexed,
I have researched the other posts about which ammo is best suited for the PSL here as well as other sites. I am asking for opinions of what is the best 7.62X54R available now that folks are using in their PSL's that I can pick up the phone and order. I may also pickup a 91/30 sniper repro.
I take it from your post you like the Polish LB best but I was unable to find any from the usual retailers, AIM, Wideners etc. The question I asked is "Looking for opinions on what is the best available 7.62X54R that is currently for sale."
Thanks, ken

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would go Czech, and Russian, unless you are sure the Bulgarian is 80s production, then I would buy it, all three of these are good light ball, mil surp, however I have found that what works best in one PSL dosnt, work best in every PSL, so you will have to do some testing. I trust the Czech, the Russian is normally over priced. If you find 80s production, Bulgarian no one is going to beat the price per round, but make sure to check case befor loading,;) that gos for all mil surp.

·
Silver Bullet member
972 Posts
Perplexed,
I have researched the other posts about which ammo is best suited for the PSL here as well as other sites. I am asking for opinions of what is the best 7.62X54R available now that folks are using in their PSL's that I can pick up the phone and order. I may also pickup a 91/30 sniper repro.
I take it from your post you like the Polish LB best but I was unable to find any from the usual retailers, AIM, Wideners etc. The question I asked is "Looking for opinions on what is the best available 7.62X54R that is currently for sale."
Thanks, ken
Ken,

My apologies if I sounded snooty :) I wasn't sure from your phrasing how knowledgeable you were about 54R ammo as used in the PSL in particular. Looks like you've done your homework...

As for the Polish LB, I like it very much. About the same as the Soviet LB in my PSL in terms of accuracy and feeding. I lucked out with a case of the Polish stuff from AIM about a month or six weeks ago, just before they ran out of it. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere I've looked online since, and I just missed six cases of it at the local gun show two weeks ago - one person bought it all for $170 a case OTD :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.