Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cool old 07/15 Berthier only has two matching numbers. Barreled receiver and magazine assembly match, everything else with a number don't match.

No big deal, it was cheap. Also don't find too many French muskets in my area.

Anyhow, while inspecting the bolt, I notice that the Berthier has a lot of pin protrusion with the striker down. This old rifle also has a mainspring of substantial power! I have visions of the firing pin punching clean through the primer!

So just how much firing pin protrusion is permissable for a Berthier rifle?

Thanks, Stevie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed that on mine. I made a dummy round and put a spent primer in it. I put a thin piece of paper over the dimple in the primer to make sure the pin was contacting the primer. It put a dent in the paper and did not pierce the spent primer. I assume by this that the pin protrusion is correct for this rifle.

Dave

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Firing pin protrusion

Have never had a problem with prtursion dimensions when swapping out parts. get a remington 700 long action spring and cut it in half. That will give you two firing pin springs that are softer than the heavy springs originally used. All three of my Berthiers have the revised springs and the bolts are easier to manipulate. Joe

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bolt doesn't match this rifle, but does look like its an original assembly. By that, I mean the bolt has been an assembly long enough that the minor rust and pitting has stained all the bolt pieces the same patina.

Bolt seems pretty robust, and mechanically solid, just has quite a bit of pin protrusion.

Pretty cool rifles. I can't say I had seen a Bethier in real life until I left a gunshow with a "bubba special" Berthier deer rifle over my shoulder.

Pictures don't do the Berthier justice. I've been laborously fitting a new forearm to my bubbized stock(rifle is an 07/15 in 3 shot original with no handguard). The Berthier's are simple(crude, maybe), but well made and fitted.

I've got my stock about done, relatively speaking, it's had the forearm grafted on, forearm reduced to rough size, front band fitted, need to fit the rear band now. Then sand and stain the whole deal.

More effort to expend on a $40 dollar rifle. Have spent a chunk already, ammo, 3 shot clips, rear sling swivel, proper rear band, plus supplies for the stock repair project.

Still need a front sight, or will have to hand file one from keystock.

I guess I won't worry about the firing pin until I know for sure it's a problem or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts