Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I claim no knowlege re French arms but I have an interest and some references. At the J. Davis Guns Museum Claremore Oklahoma is a case with a Berthier Carbine that has an odd receiver with a pivoting safety lever located behind the bolt. The receiver is built up in that area to accept the lever. The other side of the receiver and its markings was not visible. Can someone expand on this, I assume I should buy one if I see one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Berthier Safety

Greetings,

I know of no official French military safety for the Berthier. There were/are a number of after market designs that can be seen from time to time on various French weapons, but I would assume that the safety you saw in the museum was put on after the weapon had passed from French Service.

·
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is the case, the receiver was made new as I had a regular Berthier next to it for comparison and the safety model had more receiver material on it. The receiver was higher in the rear and thicker in the area to allow a machined scallop for the travel of the safety lever. The rear area of the receiver did not match the non safety rifle. The finish was uniform and the same as the other rifle without safety. The rifles were horizontal in a glass case allowing viewing from 12 inches. Unfortunately the id tags were the same for both.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting! Of course, the French were constantly experimenting with weapons, but as far as an issue weapon with a safety, I am not aware of one. Still, new things come to light all the time. Too bad we don't have pictures.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
A French Berthier bolt action rifle fitted with a safety is unheard of.

No military French bolt action rifle designed and built by the various arsenals was ever fitted with a safety, even the various type of Mas 36 built alongside the Mas FSA (trigger safety) did not receive a safety, as there was no requirement for it.
The only Military bolt action rifle in french inventory fitted with a safety were the sharpshooter rifle FRF1 & FRF2 built as of 1965.

You may have seen not a Berthier but a Daudeteau rifle, designed and built in small quantities on private funding but rejected by the Army, the Daudeteau rifles proposed in various caliber including in 8x50R Lebel were never adopted/used by the French Army.

The Daudeteau had a three way safety located on the rear left side of the receiver, acting on the trigger and/or the bolt if cocked.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I posted pictures here once of a MAS36 with a triggerguard with a safety. The triggerguard is matching serial numbered and matches the rest of the rifle as far as fit and finish, but I've been told no French rifles were manufactured with safeties.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
JB,

Could you post the pictures of your intriguing Mas 36 with a SN marked trigger guard with safety?

kelt

·
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am familiar with the Daudeteau rifles as I have several verisions. Please note I said the safety was on the bolt side. I had a standard Bethier next to it for comparison. I did not have a camera on the trip. If someone lives in Oklahoma, I certainly recommend the museum for a visit and they can see and photograph the thing for themselves. It is located in a free standing case will a number of French rifles including a Chobert flare launching rifle with a section of muffler pipe brased to it.

Apparently my question has been answered--it is not a common piece.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,633 Posts
Berthier with safety

I seem to recall reading that after World War One, Remington modified some of their Berthier rifles (these rifles were never shipped) by the addition of a safety in a effort to promote sales to the public. There was a Berthier (Remington) rifle on one of the auction sites with a safety - Remington may only have modified a few tool room examples.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts