Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this rifle along with a 1907/15 Berthier while perusing the usual websites for sale. Got it for a good deal and am now considering selling it. It unfortunately was duffel cut and its upper hand guard was discarded at some point. I know of one original stock set that I could get, and will order it if the rifle does not sell before I get to the bank. From what I know these rifles are a somewhat rare conversion and even in its semi-bubba'd state it's still worth something.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello Shane,

Are you sure that the stock was cut ?
...not sure if it needs to be replaced.
The mouthpiece seems to have no stacking hook: as I already saw once this kind of mouthpiece, I would be curious to see if it's a real mouthpiece built without hook or if the hook is missing...
...a good picture of the mouthpiece could help.

In addition to the handguard, The rear barrel band has lost is ring and the rotating swivel is missing, but nothing unsurmountable.

On the rear sight you may find some marking which indicate the pre-correction : something like "D2", "D4" or "N"
...till now I never saw a negative correction, but sooner or later we will!

If you dismount the rifle, you may find under the barrel other markings like N (B) E or +5 (B) E or -5 (B) E (only on the MAT barrels): N, +5 and -5 seem to be somthing like a dimensionnal tolerance but it's not clearly identified.

Nice find!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
These are SO scarce in the US. I stumbled upon one many years ago, and quickly succumbed to the temptation of blowing it out for a quick buck or two. Whatever you have to do to make it whole, will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Shane,

Are you sure that the stock was cut ?
...not sure if it needs to be replaced.
The mouthpiece seems to have no stacking hook: as I already saw once this kind of mouthpiece, I would be curious to see if it's a real mouthpiece built without hook or if the hook is missing...
...a good picture of the mouthpiece could help.

In addition to the handguard, The rear barrel band has lost is ring and the rotating swivel is missing, but nothing unsurmountable.

On the rear sight you may find some marking which indicate the pre-correction : something like "D2", "D4" or "N"
...till now I never saw a negative correction, but sooner or later we will!

If you dismount the rifle, you may find under the barrel other markings like N (B) E or +5 (B) E or -5 (B) E (only on the MAT barrels): N, +5 and -5 seem to be somthing like a dimensionnal tolerance but it's not clearly identified.

Nice find!
Yes it was duffel cut under the rear barrel band so the front portion of the stock can move if not repaired. The barrel band would hold it on snuggly I think if I get the handguard to go on top, but would still like to have it repaired.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have one very similar in that it was duffle cut, and is missing the stacking rod that screws into the front band...otherwise its complete...I posted it when I got it.

Great rifles, and as said, seem to be very scarce, at least in the states...

·
Gold Bullet member
11,926 Posts
Scarce rifle. Good luck on your project!

PS: Everything in upstate New York is gray, brown, and muddy and remain so for the next month or so. I don’t know where you live but looking at your photos makes me want to roll in your fields of clover! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts