Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Baby 22L pistol at my local gun shop. The pistol had some rust and pitting. (more under the grips after I got it home). It was sitting in the back to be worked on so I made a offer "as is" and got it for $50 with a partial box of old Peters HV ammo. On the way home I stopped by some shops to see if I could find 22 Long ammo but no luck. The store had Aguila HV 22 super extra short so I picked up a box just to see if that would work. After some cleaning and getting the rust off with 0000 steel wool and PB power blast penetrating oil and then clean and lube, I was able to go to the range last week to test it out. The 22 Long ammo worked. No duds and grouped about 4" at 5 yards. The 22 shorts I was able to to get 3 or 4 in the magazine and that was much better around 2" with some going into 1". I know that the magazines are for the Long so if I can get the magazine for the 22 shorts, would that be okay? Pics taking forever.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It might function with the shorts if you could find a magazine. I've seen more 25 ACP versions than 22 Long and can't remember ever running across the 22 Short version. The 22 Long had a brief period of popularity in small guns as it would fit a 25 ACP size frame without modification and was perceived as a step up from the 22 Short (though it wouldn't have been much, same weight bullet and only marginally faster, especially out of the short barrel of a pocket auto). Hi-Speed 22 Longs can be hard to find, the only longs I see much of anymore are the low velocity CB Longs and they aren't likely to cycle a semi auto. Have you tried single loading the 22 Shorts to see if they will eject okay when fired? If they do the odds are good that a Short mag might get you running with an easier to find round.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 22 shorts fed and cycled. The Aguila shorts felt like it had as much power as the hv longs. I will try a couple more shops on the island but most likely they won't have the HV longs. I guess I'll be looking for the 22 short magazine. Finally some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! For the 22 short magazine, I will try to get a original. I have seen Triple K makes mags offered but I have had issues with their other magazines in the past.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice pistol. Here is a link to some information on Bernardelli pistols.
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Bernardelli/bernardelli.html

Here are Italian date codes.
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/IDC/idc.html
While I think the unblinkingeye site has merit I have little confidence in all the details. He has tried without success to interpret the FN Browning book by Vanderlinden and the information there regarding the slide scroll information on those pistols is just one example. He writes it as gospel and people read it with the same fervor.

And this Italian Date Code page is the same. He assumes the dates prior to 1955 (or so) are Roman numerals (never seen one) and a single '9' stamp to represent the year 1953. Never have I seen that either. I'll buy a lunch for anyone who can show me a pistol with any of these markings he lists prior to 1955 and a coffee for any prior to 1959.

Dan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the info! For the 22 short magazine, I will try to get a original. I have seen Triple K makes mags offered but I have had issues with their other magazines in the past.
The .22 short magazine has a ridge rolled into the metal just behind the rim of the short cartridge which runs the entire length and will help in identifying the magazine in any auction sale you may run across. They seem to have the same overall dimension as the .22 Long mags.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
And this Italian Date Code page is the same. He assumes the dates prior to 1955 (or so) are Roman numerals (never seen one) and a single '9' stamp to represent the year 1953. Never have I seen that either. I'll buy a lunch for anyone who can show me a pistol with any of these markings he lists prior to 1955 and a coffee for any prior to 1959.
I agree: these are tales that we can find only in the USA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.