Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to purchase a PB marked M1 Garand. I examined this rifle several years ago, and according to my notes it is a 1957 receiver, 1957 VAR barrel, and the front sight, back sight, and trigger group are all PB marked. Rifle is in 90%+ condition, the bore is bright. The owner would not allow me to break it down any further. It belongs to her father who is in a Nursing Home.

How much $? No price was mentioned at the time. I can find no definitive pricing on these rifles so my question is how much? I want to give her a fair price, yet not overpay.

Any Ideas?

Oneshooter

PS I just found out that the entire collection is for sale, gonna have to think a lot about this.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If it has a Beretta receiver not a U.S. made one than it is a real Beretta . The C.M.P. never had any Beretta or P. B. made M1's Their Dane's are all U.S. made receivers . Do not use the C.M.P. pricing for a real Beretta or P.B. I would think a fair price for one in excellent condition $1200.00 to $1600.00 . A C.M.P Dane M1 would be no more than $650.00 in excellent condition .

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
FYI, Breda also made Garands post-war; I believe that they are quite a bit scarcer than the Beretta. Also, my understanding is that the Beretta used Winchester tooling, but I could be wrong on that. Anyone seriously interested in the Italian Garand angle should get a copy of the book that deals with Garands in Italian service by Ruggero Pettinelli; one of these days I intend on succumbing and getting a copy myself.. Ralph

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
If the Beretta receiver has a VAR(Danish) barrel, it is not original to the receiver, and may be a "kit" or assembled rifle as noted above.
Such a mismatch would not be worth the price quoted for an original all Beretta rifle in my book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.