Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beretta model 1951. It has no import marks, so I assume it is pre-68. Is there anyway to tell if it is a military issue or a civilian sale?

Shoots great, fit my smallish hands really well, no, not for sale ;-)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this, but if it is a military issue that was surplused directly to the exporter it would not have the civilian pressure test proofmarks of the "Banco di Prova". The same might however be the case also for foreign sales, regardless of civilian or military buyers. Again, I am no expert on this topic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In Italy the Beretta 51 was build for military use only, because the 9 mm. Parabellum caliber is outlaw for civilian use. For the italian civilian market was built the identical Beretta 52 in 7,65 Parabellum caliber.
The 51 was adopted and built on license by the Egipt and used by Israelian and Nigerian Army.

G

·
Remember the 1951 was sold commercially in the US as the "Model 951 Brigadier," and was also license manufactured in Iraq--I think it was called the "Tariq" there. Some may still be assembled from old Saddam-era parts.

1951s also show up in Syria; not sure if they are Egyptian, Israeli, Iraqi, or Italian (maybe all of these....). I have never seen a commercial "Brigadier" that didn't have importers' markings. Doesn't mean there weren't any, but it isn't "usual and customary". If I recall correctly, "Brigadiers" were sold with both aluminum and steel frames.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.