Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago I bought a Beretta 1915-1919 or Model 1922 that was manufactured by Gardone in 1928.
On the right side of the frame it is marked VDF in an oval.
What is the significance of this marking?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Beretta 1915-1919 Model 1922 was only in 7,65mm, cal .32. Here a gun badly deactivated:
P1030002.JPG

VDF in oval or VdF? A picture will be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
VdF Vigil del Fuoco== Fire Brigade ( "semi-Militarised")-- Fire fighting force throughout Italy, could be used as an optional "Draft- Dodge" service for those unable to perform Military service during the 1920s and 30s. They also issued M91 Cav carbines etc, and were expected to support both Police and Military in Internal service.

VdF still in existence today, but do not carry arms. ( perform Emergency, Disaster and Fire-Fighting Services throughout Italy.)

Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes, VdF = Vigili del Fuoco = Fire Brigade. For this reason I asked if the mark was VDF or VdF.
But on left side of the frame, not on the right side.
On right side of the frame there were the inspector markings.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hi, I asked a friend of mine that is an Historian of the Vigili del Fuoco and he said that the mark VDF cannot be of the italian fire brigade: first because their marks were VF or VVF and not VDF and second because they never marked the guns they received from 1939 to 1944 only.
On the right side of the Berettas can be found only inspector' marks, like DR, that somebody for mistake reads Dogane Reali, or PS, that somebody for mistake reads Pubblica Sicurezza or Polizia di Stato, or AB.
DR - PS.jpg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts