Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking to find some more RCBS Berdan decapping pins, but everywhere is out. Does anyone have any ideas where to pick some up, shoot me an email please. I've tried the hydraulic method, all it did was get me wet and messy.....Yes, I have plenty of Berdan primers and Berdan brass, just no pins....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Long ago gave up on the pins from RCBS, unless you adjust them just right you are going to snap them. But if you take your time and adjust them correctly they last a long time. Make your own. access to a small grinder and hacksaw is all you need plus some rod of the close to correct diameter. Use an original or pieces thereof to use as a guide. Not too sharp, they don't need to be arrows. I found a small flat spot with an edge to pierce the primer works best. Adjustment is critical so you do not deform the anvil in the case (liitle hump). Sometimes two strokes are needed, the first to pierce and then rotate for the second stroke to pop the primer. Once this adjustment is done and you get a technique it goes fast, almost as fast as a boxer casing. Also, use a vice to hold the cartridge stem piece (holder inserted in cartridge) while you deprime. Using just your hands to hold it is slow and doesn't work that well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here in Finland I have found "nail gun" nails that are the right diameter. These nails have a washer in the point end before use, they are fired with a cartridge nail gun to attach 2x4s on concrete. These nails are hard, but not brittle, quite easy to cut and grind.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
I use an ICE PICK and push it in the primer and just lever it out. so simple that A CAVE MAM CAN DO IT!
I also use the RCBS copy of the Lachmiller claw tool for Swiss GP11. (When adjusted correctly, it also works on Swedish M94 brass.) The GP11 sometimes fights, and then I use an awl like "Toot" described.

When adjusting the pin, make sure that it is not damaging the tip of the anvil.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Leon, I have noticed that SWISS-GP11,are the easiest ones to pull out with the RSBS TOOL. if as you stated, use a yard sale. flea market ICE PICL. now on to GERMAN, WW2 8M/M that is a hardened RCBS TOOL BREAKER! and if they are the ones with staked primers for MG. use to keep them from backing out, WELL JUST FPRGET IT!! chuck them into the scrap bucket!!

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Leon, I have noticed that SWISS-GP11,are the easiest ones to pull out with the RSBS TOOL. if as you stated, use a yard sale. flea market ICE PICL. now on to GERMAN, WW2 8M/M that is a hardened RCBS TOOL BREAKER! and if they are the ones with staked primers for MG. use to keep them from backing out, WELL JUST FPRGET IT!! chuck them into the scrap bucket!!
Swedish M94 is easier to decap than GP11, but I don't have that much of it to use anymore.
Some brass is just not worth the bother. The best performing NATO spec 7.62x51 I've shot is Radway Green. Nice brass too, but the primers are so heavily staked in place they will not budge.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Some WWII or later Berdan cases are indeed tough to remove. As many here know,
the RCBS / Lachmiller tool has to be set correctly (see Leon's comments). One variable
that will defeat you even with tool adjusted correctly is your case wobbling around as you
try to lever that Berdan primer out. Solution on my bench was ...and i'll use GP 11 Swiss
7.5 cases as an example. I took the sizing die, screwed it upside down in my reloading press which then has mouth of die facing up. Secure the die in that position and drop
your case into that die which will hold it while you lever out the primer. A case so held
is far easier to work with . Trying to extract berdan primers with the case held on the rod
that comes with RCBS / Lachmiller tool is a PIT A solution at holding case securely.

Oh and if you do that, you can use two hands to extract the primer...hold head of tool
onto the primer steadily as you lever out the primer with your other hand. Steady and sure, this will greatly reduce breaking the extraction PIN.

Always have a spare pin. Dial 1 800 RCBS and be prepared like a Boy Scout.

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Okay , I posted lesson learned on this tool ...now someone please tell me why my post is so chewed up and fragmented when it appears on the thread. I wrote in paragraphs and it posts on this board all messed up. Is there some hidden switch to pull on my computer that I don't know about to fix this?

·
Registered
870 Posts
For the hard to remove staked in primers, make your own chisel type tool for removal. I use a hardened steel pin punch, then grind it to have a small flat sharp point, under the point, you make it round it up so it looks like a scoop. Put brass in a vice with a small piece of leather, tap end into the primer at an angle, once it penetrates the primer, you bend the tool down and the rounded bottom acts like a scoop and pulls the primer up. This is the ONLY way I have found to remove the original primer on some of these cases. It even worked like a charm on South African .303 brass, those who reload berdan cases will understand what I mean about those cases. Once the original primer is out, the tula primers pop out easily with the RCBS tool.

Even the hydraulic tool would not work on some berdans. It literally put so much pressure on the case, it blew out the upper walls like firing a case in an oversized/wrong chamber and still wouldn't budge the primer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.