Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Its a 111.number in Smid/Moudry book, the 18mm is MRD of socket, so made in same way as Mosin 91 ersatzbayonet, most probably only few were produced for guarding and other non combat units.I believe austrian member Reibert has one picture with soldier with Berdan rifle.best regards,Andy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answer Andy

Yes it is MRD of socket 18mm and page is from Smid/Moudry book... Have you seen this bayonet in any museum ? I suppose it easier to find it in Slovakia than in UK.

Regards
Krzysztof

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Hello Gents,

I've seen two examples of this bayonet in private collections in Austria. They are quite rare. I've looked for years to try and find an example to display with my Austro-Hungarian captured and reissued Berdan II infantry rifle.

Who knows? Perhaps one day I'll get lucky and stumble across one? At least it's not as rare of the M1876 Trials bayonet that was manufactured to match the Berdan II Trials Rifle with bayonet lug and tenon!

While the book reports that only 300 of these rifles and bayonets were manufactured for Trials, Nick has found another source that suggests that there were 3,000 of these rifles and bayonets produced, which makes more sense considering the fact that most serious field tests were conducted on a regimental level. For the time being, I display it with a Gras bayonet which fits reasonably well.

Fingers crossed and perhaps some day I'll find both in some little Old Ladies yard sale!.......Uh Huh!......Sure????

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello JPS

I thought only one example existing, that showed in this Czech book. They made more.

Dreams come true ... Nobody knows what will be tomorrow ... :)

It is interesting because Austro-Hungarian Army just modified Berdan II bayonets for Mosin's rifles and after made Ersatz for them.
I have one unfortunately dug up condition but at last I got one :)

Very nice rifles !!! What markings they have ? Could you post some photos ?

There is available in Russia fake of Russian experimental bayonet for your Berdan II trial rifle quite expensive (is selling as proper one).

Regards
Krzysztof

Attachments

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Hello nice bayonet JPS, anyway as a mentioned a Smid book, he reported only bayonets from Prague museum, so this bayonet is certainly avialable there, i believe that not many were made, one the picture avialable on inet, pictured the austrian soldier with Berdan rifle and most real the ersatz bayonet, unfortunally not visible details there of socket. best regards,Andy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AndyB

Do you know any good or very good book Austrian about World War I bayonets ???
I have seen few times Russian Gulkievitch bayonet

I have seen the soldier photo, type of bayonet is not visible at all...

I will check Internet sides maybe find Berdan II photos in A-H Army...

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Probably Gabriel made a book about rifles primarily where are bayonets too,some other austrian autors are the best on the area, Smid Moudry is ok, same as the newest D.Machnicki book about austrian bayonets To the Hilt, some small errors but this is everywhere.
On soldiers photo is the Mosin ersatz scabbard so when a soldier is equiped with Berdan is probably in the scabbard a proper bayonet.
The bayonet showed on Smid/Moudry book have number 382, when serialed in a bunch so 1000 pcs could be real?
The photo of the Berdan reworked bayonet that You posted here , is there bushed out for 15mm inner diameter of socket? thanks,Andy

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I believe the bayonet scabbard is metall and typical for russian Mosin 91 ersatz bayonets, the socket is partly closed by hand, but it looks like Mosin ? or Berdan bayonet when there is end of socket visible. The photo is not a studio photo were would be equipment mixed for better photography, it could be a securing units of a concentration camp for POWs??.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi

My new one, dug up by a friend, collar have been changed and bayonet has modified the socket.
The socket looks like broken but everything can be brighter after rust remover.
Intrigue me the hole in the socket, why A-W didn't cover it like in the other modification.
Maybe it is not Ersatz for Mosin-Nagant but for example Arisaka rifle ???

Krzysztof

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.