Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a few Mosin Nagants that have the front sight posts bent away from the vertical. This couldn't have occurred as battle or rough handling damage because the surrounding ring protector is pretty effective and something very small and strong would have to get in this confined space to deform the post. So, I used my laser bore sighter and found that the point of aim via the iron sights (w/ bent front) pretty much coincides with the laser dot on the wall. Could it be that Ivan was too lazy to tap the dovetailed sight base to correct aiming by twisting a screwdriver or something against it to bend it? Wouldn't doubt it. This is for a non-refurbished ('original' condition) 91-30. Moreover, the witness marks on the sight base line up. I also have an M44 that has been beautifully post-war refinished but also has a bent front sight post. Will have to laser bore sight this too, and, of course, fire both of them to solve this. I've not fired either so far. Anybody else encounter this? Also posted this on Parallax.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I have an Albanian SKS that also has a bent sight post. The windage 'drum' on this rifle is TOTALLY immovable, and under these circumstances the user will do whatever is necessary to get on target.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen a mid-war refurbed Tula with a bent front sight post. johnnybar, a member here sells front sight posts. Very well, made looks exactly like the originals if you need one.
Thanks for the info, but don't need a new one. Just drift existing site base to correct displacement, notwithstanding post being bent. All that counts is the tiptop of the post. Can actually buy posts that are longer to compensate for the typical overshooting at distances shorter than 100m. I have some somewhere but never installed them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.