Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I'm going to have a MS 91 bolt modified to a bent downward position and angled back toward the trigger housing . This work will be done to clear the ocular lens end of a scout scope and provide more leverage to open the bolt and cock the firing pin on the rifle. My poor old arthritic right hand could use the additional long leverage advantage. That little stub of a bolt handle can be pretty stiff when old hands have to compress the stiff spring in the bolt. Too bad they didn't design the bolt to cock on closing so you could have much more force to push with arm muscles than to compress a spring with finger and hand muscles .

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I do my own, but, I cut off the bolt handle, and drill out the bolt, insert newly bent 3/8" steel rod ( less than $6 available from any hardware store), or, if doing only one rifle bolt, I buy a long 3/8" bolt, cut off ends, using only the smooth un-threaded shank .
I also drill the ball, and slide it onto the end of the bolt handle. The hard part is obtaining the 30,000 psi silver solder. EPA made new rules... yuck.

There are folks who do the work, if you seek, you might find. I won't/can't. Time and liability... and that thing with the EPA blocking use of silver solder.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I'm going to have a MS 91 bolt modified to a bent downward position and angled back toward the trigger housing . This work will be done to clear the ocular lens end of a scout scope and provide more leverage to open the bolt and cock the firing pin on the rifle. My poor old arthritic right hand could use the additional long leverage advantage. That little stub of a bolt handle can be pretty stiff when old hands have to compress the stiff spring in the bolt. Too bad they didn't design the bolt to cock on closing so you could have much more force to push with arm muscles than to compress a spring with finger and hand muscles .
Have you tried pulling back on the safety-cocking piece first, to cock it, and then rotating the bolt?

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion, but I've talked to Jim, and his lead time is 1-2 months. I'm sure everyone here can appreciate that I'd like to get this gun to the range sooner than that.
Jim's work schedule changed a while back and he sometimes can't get to his bolt jobs for a while.

I waited six months once for him to bend a Swedish M96 Mauser bolt. I had obtained a spare that headspaced correctly, so my M96 was not out of commission during the wait. And the wait was worth it! Jim got the bolt contour so no stock wood needed to be relieved.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
The advantage of a turned down bolt handle is that you can keep the rifle butt in your shoulder while operating it. This helps in keeping a consistent sight alignment and resultant tighter groups. The forward Mannlicher-style location of the Mosin Nagant's bolt handle actually works advantageously with a turned down handle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.