Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was informed that I would need to have the bolt bent for my Mauser 98 in order to have the clearance for a scope but looking at other pics for reference it looks like this is already a possible bent bolt. I just wanted to see if any one can verify that this is already the correct angle.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The angle of the bolt looks normal. I agree with the above comments. Can't see much of the rifle, but it looks like it might be in original finish. Is it matching numbers? Any other scope mounting other than the LER rear sight mount type will detract it's value as a collector piece. What is the year and code on the receiver?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the scout scope setup currently on it but I eventually want to put on a rear scope mount instead as I am not really liking the scout scope configuration. When I took it to a gunsmith they basically said that we would have to have the required bent bolt to clear the scope but I had felt that this is already considered to be a bent bolt hence the reason why I am asking others to verify with this post just to be sure.

it is not a matching numbers gun so it does not have any real value to it.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
keep original.. the dont make em anymore.... get one thats done already. or get one done. you can get one thats bent and 'thinned' already! (lower scope) but heck if your drilling and tapping anyway.....
we did it back in the day when surplus was cheep and plentiful. and some do shoot pretty good. but unless your a reinactor they weigh a ton and any brand new ruger american .270 will match or beat it, depending on the shooter. and this from a person who hunts with mauser. but my sporters i got cheep from parts already done. your call. this one is from a trashed bolt body i put on a 'long' bolt handle.
see how high the scope is? is? that stock (from another member) has a high comb. ive shot both fake and 'real' snipers and while they group, IMHO the cheek rest is WAY to low for me. good luck!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,569 Posts
I don't understand you are OK the way it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't understand you are OK the way it is.
Actually no I am not. The scout scope mount was something I wanted to try so I would not have to alter the rifle permanently and could easily put it back to original if need be. It is that thru trying the scout scope configuration I really just do not favor it and have difficulty in using this setup. That then has lead me to think about other scope mount configurations and the primary config is to use something that is more original to Kar98 scope setups. However the gunsmith was mentioning that the bolt will need to be bent to clear the scope but inspecting it myself it seems that this is already bent down enough at an arc to clear almost any scopes. Initially I wanted to verify this with others on this forum just to be sure.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,569 Posts
If your asking sniper bolt angle is any different than regular bent bolt. Ans: No. All depending on the scope and mount you will choose. Modern scope or WWII. Any repro will work as long as its high mount. Ask me get second opinion.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hello nodott, pic farther down of member hrvatski blasted a coyote with 1940 ax, he used high Burris 2 piece mounts, 40mm scope he didnt mention bending the bolt, you could go down to 32 or 38 mm scope to make sure, yes them scout mounts take a little while to get used too. Maybe he will be along or shoot him a pm to ask about the bolt, anyway build it the way you prefer, it what makes YOU happy that counts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts