Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some Bulgarian 54R heavy ball on 250 round belts in cans.....probably for a PK or variant I guess. Looks like copper washed, 27 over a 52 head stamp (my eyes are going).............some has some slight rust on the base of the rim that wipes off, some's got some heavy corrision, not sure it can be saved. It was $55 for 2 belts in 2 cans for a total of 500 rounds.............anyone have any expirence with it? I saw where some was on Gunbroker and I think Ammoman had some.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Iv only shot 10 rds off the belt it all shot no click--bangs. It seems to be fine. The cans I got where very clean with know rust or corrision.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Problems with the Bulgarian 762X54R

Today I was pulling bullets from some bulg 762X54R to reload them with tracer bullets.

I was useing the LB with a 10 over 50 HS. The powder Wt is 44 grs. After 50 rds I got some more the HS is 10 over 52 the powder Wt. was 50 grs. So I noticed the differences in the wt. I went diggin for different HS dates of the bulg 762x54R the wt went from the lowest of 39 gr to the high of 50. Thats alot So be careful with the bulg 762X54R There is a big differents in powder wt and powder kinds.
I found different wt from can to can with the same HS.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Picked up some Bulgarian 54R heavy ball on 250 round belts in cans.....probably for a PK or variant I guess. Looks like copper washed, 27 over a 52 head stamp (my eyes are going).............some has some slight rust on the base of the rim that wipes off, some's got some heavy corrision, not sure it can be saved. It was $55 for 2 belts in 2 cans for a total of 500 rounds.............anyone have any expirence with it? I saw where some was on Gunbroker and I think Ammoman had some.
Have seen this at several retailers...but the Headstamp 21 over 52 tells me that it is HUNGARIAN ammunition, not Bulgarian. If you want to know how this stuff has been for shooters ask them about Hungarian Yellow tip or Hungarian Heavy ball. It has been around for a year or two and alot of people like it just fine. I had a lot of pierced primers with this ammo in my Mosins but others like it alot!

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Today I was pulling bullets from some bulg 762X54R to reload them with tracer bullets.

I was useing the LB with a 10 over 50 HS. The powder Wt is 44 grs. After 50 rds I got some more the HS is 10 over 52 the powder Wt. was 50 grs. So I noticed the differences in the wt. I went diggin for different HS dates of the bulg 762x54R the wt went from the lowest of 39 gr to the high of 50. Thats alot So be careful with the bulg 762X54R There is a big differents in powder wt and powder kinds.
I found different wt from can to can with the same HS.

Gee...I do the same thing! Pull Bulgarian Light ball and put a M25 Tracer bullet in there. Then the Bulgarian Light ball bullet goes into .303 Reloads. I do not worry about the powder difference you see... as different lots may have used a different powder and this accounts for the weight difference....even in the same year. I WOULD worry if I saw this in the SAME sealed can of ammo. Same cans seem OK to me.

Pulled down some Portugese 8mm from the same year once(different lots).....some had Ball powder, some flake, some extruded IMR type. All shot the same as charges of powder were adjusted to meed velocity/Pressure specifications.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Spur,

What condition are the belt in? I use these in my Maxim 08/15, and thought of buying more. I do want belts in perfect condition, so I have held off on buying because of possible water damage.

Thanks,
Tribrothers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The belts are fine Tribrothers, the corrosion is mainly on the rim, a little WD40 and they should be good as new. I’ve got family in town and I haven’t delinked or cleaned anything yet but a bud who picked up 2 cans with 500 rounds said he used a wire wheel to clean up his 500 rounds and his cans cleaned up easy and nice….I didn’t talk to him directly so don’t know what he did with his belts but from the way mine look they should be fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ammolab and 1_Eye.................where are you guys picking up your M25 tracers at a good price......and what's you rationale for doing that with 54R light ball.....just to salvage the ammo but still use it for .303 reloads?

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Ammolab and 1_Eye.................where are you guys picking up your M25 tracers at a good price......and what's you rationale for doing that with 54R light ball.....just to salvage the ammo but still use it for .303 reloads?

I think I got the tracer bullets at Weidners..... I Do it to get cheap 54R tracers! I paid about a nickle or less for the tracer bullet* and about 7.5cents/round* for the Bulgarian light ball. So I end up with a good tracer '54R round for 12cents AND a good 148gr .310 bullet for reloading.

The pulled bullets have to go somewhere so I use them for NONcorrosive reloads for the SVT40 and
for cheap .303 Plinking ammo.

*Prices listed are from the "good old days!"

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ammolab,
I bought 5000 or 6000 of the M25 Tracers at Wideners. I have not had a chance to pull any light ball Bulgarian yet. Did you modify the powder load? How have the tracer lit up? Did it take 75 to 100 yards to make them light up? Thanks for any help.
Tribrothers

·
Registered
683 Posts
I might be missing it, but where did you get the ammo? That's a good price.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I got some M25s at polygunbags and some from Hi-tech ammo, and wideners reloading. The price is way up now when I first got some they were like 4 cents pre
I just like to see the bullets fly WWWEEEE!!

When useing the Bulg 54R LB be careful I have had different types of powder from the same cans of ammo. And the powder wt has went up and down from 39 grs and up to 50 grs. With both extruded and flake powder in the same cans of ammo.

I stoped useing the bulg 54R. Now Im useing the Hung LB. It is a steel case but it resizes and crimps good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked up the ammo from a dealer at the Timonium, MD gunshow last weekend, two friends and I bought the last 8 cans he had......there was some on Gunbroker and Ammoman also has some but it was more in both cases than what we paid...$55 for two cans.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I picked up the ammo from a dealer at the Timonium, MD gunshow last weekend, two friends and I bought the last 8 cans he had......there was some on Gunbroker and Ammoman also has some but it was more in both cases than what we paid...$55 for two cans.
I hate you

(just kidding :D )

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where did you buy two cans for $55?

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Ammolab,
I bought 5000 or 6000 of the M25 Tracers at Wideners. I have not had a chance to pull any light ball Bulgarian yet. Did you modify the powder load? How have the tracer lit up? Did it take 75 to 100 yards to make them light up? Thanks for any help.
Tribrothers

Used the original powder load, no problems. Tracers gave 99% light ups...and they light up around 100yards as designed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts