Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i dont have any specialty when it comes to collecting C&Rs, but i lately have found myself drawn more and more to WW1 rifles. I travel constantly for work(corporate pilot), and spend my free road time scouring pawn shops and gun stores. i spotted a steyr M95 long rifle last week out in vegas, but passed, as it was a rework i believe. nothing wrong with it, but it jsut didnt grab me enough to buy it. it did however get me reading up on M95s, and this weekend while in Vermont i stumbled on what i believe is a better example - possibly in as issued condition from WW1 right down to the sling. ive read every M95 post here on the first 40 pages tryin to learn the details on these neat rifles. anyway, heres some pix - dont mind the 100years of dust and grime.

let me know what you all think.

one question, i dont see the SN on the handguard...where were they stamped originally?

·
Copper Bullet member
457 Posts
If there were a serial number on the hand guard, it is usually stamped on a little scooped out area in the wood at the left side of the rear sight. Both of my long rifles do not have the number on the hand guard. Hope this helps.

Frank

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
Nice M.95 with a nice original sling! The handguards were stamped as explained above, but some of them were simply numbered on the inside with a pencil.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx everyone, im happy with it! there may be a well worn number on the handguard - might be my eyes playin tricks...

anything i can put on the sling to help preserve it? its mighty dry and cracked. i do know better than to use the sling hehe...

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
There are many leather treatments. I use glycerin if the leather is too hard or Pecard if the leather is more pliable.

Or I could trade you a nice, strong and soft reproduction sling with which you can safely shoulder your M.95! :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Don't mean to start a leather argument... but, treating the leather will supposedly cause it to deteriorate over time. The least intrusive thing I've heard is to put renaissance wax on it to preserve.

M95 looks good and original. Though often the 8x50 rifles tend to have grainier stocks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't mean to start a leather argument... but, treating the leather will supposedly cause it to deteriorate over time. The least intrusive thing I've heard is to put renaissance wax on it to preserve.

M95 looks good and original. Though often the 8x50 rifles tend to have grainier stocks.
I used Ballistol on my leather slings with excellent results. I do not think their is anything harmful to leather in Ballistol.

James

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts

·
8,105 Posts
Congratulations, a very nice rifle and the sling is nice as well, it is extremely rare.

As far as treatment for the sling? Best, if possible, to use nothing on it. However, if it is dry and cracking, the only thing you should use on it is a very light coat of pure neatsfoot oil. Do not use neatsfoot oil compound or anything with petroleum products in them. Read the contents, the vast majority of modern, factory made leather "care" products contain petroleum products and should not be used on antique leather. I will not at this time get into naming the products not to use, too many people get offended by that discussion and I am not in the mood to do it, just let me say that I have had over 35 years of experience in working with new and old leather and have tried them all and discussed the use of many products with experienced professionals and have an idea about what not to use. Do keep in mind that if you decide that you must use something on it, keep it light, do not over apply.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thx again everyone, nothing it is on the sling. bore is humble, but not as bad as my 1917 Kar98 engineers carbine, and it shoots a 5" group at 100yd w cast boolits / 16g 2400. eventually ill load a similar load for the steyr...i dont shoot my scarcer milsurps often, but ill fire a few cast loads now and then.

anyways, i figured it was time for a new pix of my herd.... enjoy

Top: Enfield Ishy Screwed jungle carbine Import Marked

L to R

Enfield N04Mk2, all matching incl bayo, my first milsurp Import Marked

Shooter Grade Garand

1903A3, restored Sporter, not drilled / tapped

Run of the Mill Jap 7.7, was my fathers deer rifle

1942 Imported Izhvsk Sniper, scope/Mount Mismatch, ive shot it to 800yd, no need for 311 bullets. likes 155 Scenars and Varget

Savage No4 Mk1 restored from Sporter, Import Marked

Byf44 Bolt MM K98 Duffle Cut Non Import

Winchester 1917 Non Import

Remington P14 that escaped Weedon, still Has Volley Sights etc Non Import

1903 Dated Amberg Sterngewehr GEW 98, Bolt / Rod MM D Cut Non Import

1917 Erfurt Kar98 Bolt MM D Cut Non Import

1915 M95 Steyr

1909 No1 Mk1*** Enfield non import

1892 Finned Izhvesk Mosin Nagant, AZF Marked, Finn Matched, non import

1921 Unit Marked Police Luger, Matching, Non Import

Various Bayonets

·
Administrator
12,070 Posts
By sticking a 8x56 in the chamber. Or by the lack of S on the barrel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts