Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three years or so ago digging through my buddies pile of Mauser military parts accumulated from 50+ years of sporterizing, I ran across an odd front band and bayo lug. With a little research I determined it must be from an 89/36 Belgium conversion. My buddy later remembered an elderly gentleman bringing in the rifle in very poor condition. He wasn't sure how he wound up with the parts.

So they have been residing in my parts box ever sense - wouldn't it be neat I though to find a rifle to go with them.

Fast forward to two weeks ago - looking through GunBroker - you guessed it - a sportered 89/36 at a low starting price. MAE version - barrel, receiver and stock match. Only the wood between the barrel bands - handguard - and the bands, were missing (as well as the rear action screw).

A quick search of the standard parts vendors turned up the rear band. Was pretty sure an Argie 91 rear screw would work. My buddy has dozens of possible donor stocks to choose from to replace the wood. The big uncertainty was whether I had the skill to do a "duffle" repair under the lower band(the stock was severed just above the lower band spring).

What the heck I though-nothing ventured as they say....

Had a little competition for the rifle and had set my max at $225 shipped - luckily it only took $209 shipped.

Thanks to an excellent repair thread by "Hambone" on another forum I had some good guidance on the repair. Materials for the repair were 1/4" brass tubing, 3/16" brass rod and JB Weld.

Finished her up this morning. Not perfect but not bad for a first go - and best of all the satisfaction of saving another relatively uncommon historical artifact from the hands of Bubba.

Rifle prior to restoration.

Donor stock-vz98/22 selected for color match

Inletting the fore end tip for the bayo lug was tricky and time consuming- not to mention drilling the tiny hole straight for the retaining pin.

A walnut k98k handguard was shortened as well as a 96 Swede cleaning rod.

Completed - total investment about $235.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put 16 rounds through the 89/36 this afternoon. Looks like the stock splice is going to hold. She appears to be decently accurate.

6 round group at 100 yds after adjusting the sights

A few outdoor pics - there is a curious looking wood insert beneath the recoil bolt - anyone ever seen a repair like this? I would think a repair in this area would be behind the bolt unless it was part of the bolt installation, but have not noticed it on other examples posted.

Recoil bolt repair

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I almost followed your lead. Someone got a 1889/36 for a HECK of a price off ebay just a couple days ago. ALMOST bought it... always wanted one to look closer at the conversion process.
They are very interesting. The hybrid cock on opening 89/98 bolt is neat. The metal piece covering the threads for the discarded barrel shroud on the front of the receiver is supposedly welded on, but I have a hunch it is actually screwed on to the existing barrel shroud threads. The stock splice used to convert the stock is a work of art. The hinged bands are also a nice touch.

It is light well balanced and handy. The action feeds smoothly and it has a nice light trigger.

Vanderlinden does a good job detailing these in his new FN book.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Nice job.
But the only thing that goes through my mined is 'I have a 98/22 that needs a stock.' :)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update - was over at my gunsmith buddy's this afternoon looking for stocks and handguards for a couple of more restoration projects and low and behold we found an 89/36 hand guard.

So here she is with a correct handguard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.