4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bayonetcollector Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Visit Members Homepage
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 Aug 2007 at 8:11pm
This medal is one of the nicest gifts I've ever recieved.

It came from Big Commander and is a commemorative medal of the battle of Yser 17-31st of october 1914. On the obverse a young helmeted man bars the way with his staff, signifying stopping the German advance.

On the reverse is a wounded lion, signifying belgium, who suffered horrible losses during this battle.

It has been explained to me that the black and red ribbon has a sombre symbolism too, black for the mourning, red for the blood. It is a sobering medal, no pompousness at all, just a memory of a terrible ordeal that was at last crowned with success.

If you wish to fill in more about this battle, Big Commander, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.

Big commander Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Online
So, this is a surprise! Glad you liked it so much.
I'll try to make a summary about the events that led to the creation of this Yser medal. Hope to find some time for this in the next days, I promise not to be too boring or too long.

Edited by Big commander - 22 Aug 2007 at 6:42pm
Ubique fidelis et fortis

The Expert Members Profile
Find Members Posts
Add to Buddy List

Online Status: Offline
You mean Belgium fought in the WWI, too? I thought the country was only involved in WWII.

Just kidding, BigCom......a very thoughtful and elegant gift.....I'm interested in hearing the fuller story.

Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.