Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this Belgian M1935 for many years, and never wondered about the sling set-up until recently, after seeing a number of pics of other M1935 rifles.

I's an MAE, matched, made from a late German WWI Gew98. (I't's been a long time since I stripped it, but it's parentage was pretty clear.)

As you can see from the pics, the bottom stock butt sling has been moved to the left side, and the opening filled in conventional fashion for filling this type of thing.

The front band is specifically made for a side sling swivel mount only. The correct oval shape mimics the shape of the stock.

Does this rifle have a special use, or designation?
Regards, Ned

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comparison photo

Here is a pic of both styles of front bands, bottom mount and side mount.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Ned,
There were no Mle 1935 varients of this type in the Belgian Army's (Credit-Communal) 1988 catalog, or WW II era German documents. The Credit Communal catalog and the Wehrmacht's D.50 series of manuals on foreign ordnance and small arms contain the only decent historical listings of Belgian small arms that I know of. I personally have never seen a rifle like this. However, someone obviously went to a lot of trouble to do this work so professionally. A WW II German connnection is the first thing that somes to mind. Is the bayonet bar notched on just one side, or both?

I also see that the unique ramp on the normal Mle 1935's handguard to protect a soldier's hand from the raised hinge on the lower band, has been removed the the handguard on your modified rifle.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John,
The bayonet bar has only the one original notch.
Like you, I'd noticed the hand guard did not have the protective hump where the hinge would normally be on top.

The band itself is a perfect oval, and no signs of reshaping.

Well, what the heck...another mystery mauser.

Regards, Ned

1 - 5 of 5 Posts