Gold Bullet Member
454 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,907 Posts
Hello corsi,

That's a very nice Mle. 1916 Belgian Carbine. Thank you for posting the photos. Check with John Wall regarding a repro clearing rod to replace the original, which is missing in your carbine. He's taking a head count to determine how many they need to produce.

Now please read the Forum Rules very carefully! As a Senior Member you should know better?

Respectfully submitted,

JPS

·
Gold Bullet Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry JPS. The rules for this forum didn't mention anything regarding asking for advice on valuing a gun. I do know it is a no-no to post in the trader without a value so I thought it was OK to ask for opinions here first. If I missed something please let me know.

Regards,
John

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,907 Posts
Hi John,

I have to note my friend, that I didn't just fall off of a turnip truck in spite of what Gsu might say!

There is the rule and then there is the spirit of the rule. It's very easy to ask what a particular piece is worth without mentioning the words "sale" or "sell."

Hello Gents,

"I was wondering what you folks think this Mle 1916 carbine might be worth?"

versus

"I'm thinking of selling this Mle 1916 carbine. What do you think would be a fair asking price?"

The first approach will net you answers. The second approach will net you PM's.

This rule has been run rough shod over on a lot of the other Forums. Some mods haven't made an issue of this previously, however after the dust up on the Collector's Forum all of the mods have been instructed to tidy-up rules enforcement.

But in this case, I would have treated this thread the same. I'm not into infractions as we have such a well behaved crowd that it's never been an issue. I've always figured that it was easier to edit the thread, state the reason why and then let it go.

Then if there are any questions, such as this one, I add my perspective. But it's not personal and nobody is on notice. You are, and always will be, as welcome here as everyone else.

Hope this answer helps!

Warmest regards,

John

·
Gold Bullet Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the clarification John. I admit that I do not visit this forum much and was not aware of the past issues/dust up you mentioned. Just so you know, no disrespect to this forum or it's regular readers was intended. I thought I was just being honest when I mentioned I would sell the rifle on the Trader. Speaking for myself, I dislike reading "What it is worth posts" only to see the item for sale later. I wanted this forum's readers to know my intentions straight away.

Regardless, I take your comments in the spirit they were delivered with no hard feelings at all.

Would it be OK if I edited my original post with the phrase you offered?

Best,
John

·
Super Moderator
11,907 Posts
Hi John,

My apologies for not responding sooner. It's been a very busy week business wise. Thank you for your understanding regarding this issue. Without question you fall in with the 99% of other folks who cross this line accidentally without even knowing it.

On a personal note, I wish we could post WWI vintage weapons for sale or trade on this Forum to help place truly rare items in the hands of folks who we know would both appreciate as well as preserve their history! Problem is, in the long run it would never work!

It would rapidly degenerate into shills for dealers and beanie babies. So your best bet is either the Trader or the online auctions. I prefer the Trader since it is supported by Gunboards, but you have to assess what you have and go with whatever venue you think will bring top dollar.

Over the years I have developed a list of fellow collectors who I PM or email to allow them first shot at anything I decide to part with. It works great with everyone except Gsu. He will never buy anything from me because I'm not a gray haired little old Lady at a yard sale!

Warmest regards,

John

PS - Welcome to the WWI Forum! Please stick around. We have an excellent group of regulars.

·
Gold Bullet Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries John, thanks for putting so much time into this thread.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.