Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a great 89/36 from a fellow board member (thanks Nick) and was looking for a little history on them. I know they were converted from 1936-1940, but are there estimates on how many were converted? Also, any suggestions on ammo that shoots well in them?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,314 Posts
I have one and have just used surplus Argentine ammo in it.Hard to tell how many they made or converted,The Germans may have ended up with a lot of them.I had 1889 rifle that had the big U burned in the stock for "Ubung" For practice or training.I really like the 89/36 but like shooting the 1889 rifle more. But It is a good rifle to have in your collection.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
I have Mle 89/36 serial numbers into the 60,000 recorded. The rifle was made for the same Belgian Model 1930 spitzer cartridge used by the Mle 1935. However, I do not have any information on this round. 89/36 conversions were dome mainly by the MAE, the Belgian state-owned armory in Liege. A few were also converted by Peiper in Liege, but these are very rare. JL has one, and gratiously photographed it for Bob Ball. It is shown in the 4th edition of MMRotW.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a 1936 cartouched MAE conversion in the 74,000 range. Hope this help.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Mine is a 1936 cartouched MAE conversion in the 74,000 range. Hope this help.
Mine is in 30000 serial # range. I need a handguard and front/upper barrel band for it.
"MAE 1936" on buttstock. I would assume that production was at least 44000 in 1936....
Did serial numbering begin with number 1?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

I'm from Belgium and also an Mauser enthusiast.
I also find Belgian Mausers very fine rifles and hard to find in a nice shape and with the correct numbers.

For John Wall; some pics of the 7.65x53mm round. The ball nose bullet is a WWI for comparison.

Regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts