Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I think I have had a stroke of "beginners luck!" with the latest US PROPERTY No.4 MKI I added to my collection. Maybe those with more experience can tell me...based on my experience with other type of Mil-Surps I would say yes...but with Enfield, who knows.

Also, hopefully I can get an answer about "force matched" serial numbers.

First things first. I recently acquired the following:

1942 No.4 MKI (Not MKI*) Ser# 2C3690
All matching numbers, including the magazine (Located on rear spine, nothing on bottom)
#3 Bolt Head - "BNP" on the receiver.
6-Groove Barrel. Near muzzle, various stampings including a Crown over BNP, .303 over 18.5, 2.222 over TONS PFR
300/600 Flip Rear Sight
"Flaming Bomb" under serial number, "US PROPERTY" in normal location.
Virtually everything else is "S" marked
Completely unmarked grey metal butt plate (magnesium / aluminum?)
Brass oil tube marked - top to bottom - H,J&S; broad arrow; crown; V5; 13
C w/broad arrow or G, S 1943 marked sling

The one below, I am just looking for a little info on whether it might be an aresenal refurb.

My second is an un-dated No.4 MKI* (Not MKI) Ser# 73C5128
Has an Ordinance Bomb and a 5 stamped above the Ser# and a "B" below.
Bolt handle has been ground and the matching serial# EP'd.
Magazine has MB over a broad arrow on the rear spine and a non-match 5 digit number stamped on the bottom.
Virtually all remaining parts are "S" marked.
Butt plate is brass, oil tube cover stamped F over unreadable due to an "A" or "H" stamped on top. Below that F over 56.

That would be it for now...TIA for any information!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Congratulations on having the Savage No.4, Mk.1! The love of my life among No.4s. I've had one - my eldest son cadged it from me. I had put a brand-new set of Savage contract wood on it which I bought from BDL (I bought the rifle from North China Arms as a sportered rifle) and obtained all the other correct parts for restoration. Zinc/aluminum/magnesium known as Zamak or Mazak - your choice. Brass oil bottle is correct for early No.4 production and these bottles are now somewhat scarce and fairly expensive. "300/600 flip sight" is known as Sight, Mk.2 - an expedient backsight and correct for the rifle as manufactured - if the rifle had been FTR'd, a Mk.1 backsight would almost certainly have been fitted - something you can do if you wish to "upgrade" your rifle but keep the original Mk.2 backsight on hand for posterity.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
The first one is certainly an excellent find, and the second is certainly a refurb...

F over 56 is an ROF Fazakerley inspection mark, and some recent opinion has been forwarded that the B indicates rework at BSA. The ep'd number on the bolt handle would indicate a visit to one or the other facility, as both used electropencil late and post war.

A bit of side info:

The crown over BNP (Birmingham Nitro Proof) is part of the civil proofing required by British law on any firearms in the commercial market... along with the .303 (caliber),18.5 tons per sq in (proof pressure), and 2.222" (chamber length/max trim). The buttplate is an alloy known as "Zamak" or "Mazak"...tradenames depending on which side of the pond you're on.

Not sure what info you're looking for as to "force matching", but it was common practice to line through or remove numbers on replacement bits and renumber them to the rifle

edit to add...6 groove Savage barrels don't show up often at all...you have a real keeper there.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gentlemen, all of your responses have made my Christmas! While I didn't get it as "gift" persay - it did arrive in my home on 12/22 though - I bought it at auction (NOT GB, AA, or GA!) essentially sight unseen (the pictures they post are hardly representative of what you are bidding on). It was purchased with the intent of reselling it and only paid what I felt was a reasonable wholesale price.

The icing on the cake is this deal is am already in possession of an "S" marked spike bayonet, a canvas frog (very likely reproduction :(), and a Mk.1 rear sight. I believe the correct term here would be "BOO YAAAAAAAA!!!!" :D

Obviously...it will be the OTHER No.4 that will be going up for sale...

Thank you for the information...I look forward to spending more time here as my collection of Enfields grows.

Hoping eveyone had a wonderful Christmas and wishing all a VERY happy New Year!!!

--Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.