Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done to death, but please bear with me.

Shopping list to rescope an ex-PU:
1. Drill bit size for the screw holes
2. Tap size for the screws
3. Pilot drill size for the pins and screws

Now, are titanium bits required? Or regular metal bits OK?

And lastly, does ANYONE make a jig or template for the stock cut? (might be a marketing idea :D )

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,365 Posts
I know this has been done to death, but please bear with me.

Depends if you are doing a 6X.75 or 6x1 main screws. Measure the pin diameter before drilling. Use a Vernier caliper if possible.
Shopping list to rescope an ex-PU:
1. Drill bit size for the screw holes
5MM for a 6x1 screw - might go a bit larger if doing a 6x.75 (rule of thumb is screw diameter - thread pitch = nominal drill bit size)
2. Tap size for the screws
6X1 or 6X.75 depending on screw size/pitch
3. Pilot drill size for the pins and screws
3MM or there about works best for me. +/- is OK. I use a 4.9MM for pin final hole.

Now, are titanium bits required? Or regular metal bits OK?

I have not used titanium. I do buy quality bits and taps from a machine tool supply shop. They are German and US made. Do not use Chinese taps IMHO. Do not know about quality of Accumounts drills/taps

And lastly, does ANYONE make a jig or template for the stock cut? (might be a marketing idea :D )
I found hand cutting the easiest. No power tools needed. Place the receiver in the stock with base attached and mark the area to be relieved/removed. Slowly remove material with an xacto or razor knife. Takes a bit of patience but a good clean job is not difficult. Frequently polace receiver to stock to confirm fitting/cutting area.
Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts