Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the 1916 CG FSR m96 I posted prior about. It came with a Soderin rear sight and Eliet (?) front globe sight (which was broken). The stock is beech and I assume a replacement for the rifle.

The number in the barrel channel and on the HG is 510575. It doesn't match the s/n of the rifle.

I assume that the stock came off a HVA produced gun BUT a close look at the disk inletting (no disk came with the gun) the single screw hole does NOT appear to have been threaded.

Heres my question. Is it possible that (replacement??? ) stocks and HG were cut as a "matched" pair and numbered accordingly? Not stocks/HG that were installed immediately onto rifles but stocks produced as replacements.

I ask this because 1) I dont know if any of the HVA produced m96 rifles carried a s/n of 510575 as I thought the HVA guns were in the 600,xxx s/n range. If Im correct than the stock could not of come off a HVA rifle. 2) If the stock came off a in service rifle I think I would see threads cut into the single screw hole to retain the disk and I do not.

Thoughts?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,591 Posts
That serial number is from a 1924 serial range M96 , which would originally have a beech stock , most likely . Since no screws were used in the disc cutout , it was either never issued or more likely a replacement stock for the 1924 M96 that never received a brass disc .

Where are the photos ?????????

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,912 Posts
It is not all that easy to answer your questions as you have no pictures here or in your prior thread. Why would you think your stock came off of an HVA M96? Guess I don't understand that.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not all that easy to answer your questions as you have no pictures here or in your prior thread. Why would you think your stock came off of an HVA M96? Guess I don't understand that.
I assumed that the Stock/HG number stamped into the inletting was a s/n higher than the CG produced s/n ever were. Apparently not as Swede mentions the 500,xxx s/n rifles were produced sometine in the 1924ish era.

AND HVA rifles never had disks installed when they left the factory (correct?) which would explain why I dont see threads cut into the screw hole that would retain the disk.

I'll get some pictures posted.

Thanks Fellows.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,912 Posts
I have seen other CG rifles with no sign of ever having a disk. Not all even got a disk. Some were just skipped towards the end. Especially if a new replacement stock was put on it. So no screws were put in it. Not rare to see this.
Especially if a civilian had the rifle and sold it to a dealer in later years who then exported it to the US.
Since yours was owned by a civilian (FSR Rifle), he may have replaced the original stock with a new one made in 1924.. Had it been returned to the Army, then most likely it would have a disk and that diopter would have been removed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he may have replaced the original stock with a new one made in 1924..
Thanks Stevan1.

BUT... I assume its NOT a NEW stock because the inlletting carries a stamped number 510575 OR... as I mentioned prior were the stocks/HG "matched" and the number stamped into them?

The wrist has several crown stamps. One closest to the trigger guard in a Crown, behind that is a Crown w/ CB. Then a faint Crown w/ S and the last one Crown with a big C. Of course we have no idea when/why they were applied.

Gee if we could only get these guns to
talk.
Anyone know how common beech stocks were on the 1924ish rifles? I dont think many m96s were produced in that time era.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,175 Posts
I believe all the 1924 M96s were issued with beech stocks, here's mine. One of only 2149 produced that year and it's serial number puts it 179 away from your stock's.

·
9,591 Posts
Thanks Stevan1.

BUT... I assume its NOT a NEW stock because the inlletting carries a stamped number 510575 OR... as I mentioned prior were the stocks/HG "matched" and the number stamped into them?

The wrist has several crown stamps. One closest to the trigger guard in a Crown, behind that is a Crown w/ CB. Then a faint Crown w/ S and the last one Crown with a big C. Of course we have no idea when/why they were applied.

Gee if we could only get these guns to
talk.
Anyone know how common beech stocks were on the 1924ish rifles? I dont think many m96s were produced in that time era.
New replacement stock were numbered to match . Maybe in the post WW2 time period they did not bother to number them . We do see some with only the last 3 digits of the serial number . Beech was the common stock after 1918 . So , most all the 1920's stocks were beech . If a small lot of walnut was obtained , it would be run in with beech stocks . My 1927 M96 has a French walnut stock , which we would usually think beech was used .

What I see strange is 3 arsenal cartouche's on the wrist of the stock & never had a Unit or bore disc installed ???????????????????? That is just another anomaly that we cannot explain .

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe all the 1924 M96s were issued with beech stocks, here's mine. One of only 2149 produced that year and it's serial number puts it 179 away from your stock's.
Sheepdawg. Thanks. Interesting that my stock number is so close to yours. Any idea where your fits into the 2149 m96 produced in 1924? I see your has a range plate. No nail holes in mime.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,175 Posts
Sheepdawg. Thanks. Interesting that my stock number is so close to yours. Any idea where your fits into the 2149 m96 produced in 1924? I see your has a range plate. No nail holes in mime.
Since there are 1924s with serial numbers starting with 509 and 511 I would figure mine was made in the middle of the run. Go to House of Karlina, there's a list of known serial numbers for every year.

Hey Dutchman, since 1924s are kind of special how about putting my serial number on the list? :cross Pretty please.

I don't think he's updated the list lately.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,912 Posts
Hmmm! 510575 huh. Look here what I have for a number on my 1924. And my stock does match the receiver.

The dogs number isn't close to yours at all.:) How about this one? 510577 and receiver even has an additional 577 stamped to the right of the SN. Dunno why either. Just had to top that ole dog again. :laugh:

·
9,591 Posts
We see the three digit number following the serial number on the fm23 target rifles . Some match the last three digits of the serial number , while others have their own number with no relation to the serial number . I don't think yours was ever a fm23 , as we have seen a number of M96's with 3 digits following the serial number & dated 1923 & 1924 . Perhaps they were intended to be made into fm23's , but production halted before these could be made into target rifles ???????????? There are some fm23's that seem to be made into fm23/36's . At least the serial numbers look like fm23's , whereas there were only 89 fm23/36's made & numbered 1001 to 1089 . We don't have the highest & lowest serial numbers for these fm23/36 target rifles , so not sure which number was 1st ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,175 Posts
Hmmm! 510575 huh. Look here what I have for a number on my 1924. And my stock does match the receiver.

The dogs number isn't close to yours at all.:) How about this one? 510577 and receiver even has an additional 577 stamped to the right of the SN. Dunno why either. Just had to top that ole dog again. :laugh:

No doubt Steve you have a way of coming up with the top drawer examples, your 1924 is as nice as it gets. Mine's all matching too but yours is far nicer. I'll let you bask in the glory of one upping me. I was taught to respect my elders, in your case much elder. Of course I could get nasty and pull out a certain 44 Husky M38.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.