Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks ,stumbled across this nice piece and as vintage oilers are one of my sub collector areas I grabbed it....i was suprised when i got it home and discovered the patch compartment....the last date i can make out is 1871 i think....any info is much appreciated...Scott

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would that be prewar or during World War I please also any idea what the badge was on top I assumed 25th regiment but if it’s a civilian award perhaps not thank you very much. Is there a good reference book or website for these. BbI bought a fair size little lot. A gold toned naval wound badge. Totenkopf pre nazi I think several wound badges and iron crosses with super well made pin screw backs I think made of pewter ?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Would that be prewar or during World War I please also any idea what the badge was on top I assumed 25th regiment but if it’s a civilian award perhaps not thank you very much. Is there a good reference book or website for these. BbI bought a fair size little lot. A gold toned naval wound badge. Totenkopf pre nazi I think several wound badges and iron crosses with super well made pin screw backs I think made of pewter ?
It's a pre-WW1 EK....WW1 ones were dated 1914 on the front and 1813 on the back....The date 1870 represents the year the award was reinstituted by King Wilhelm I with an order dated 19 July 1870, the very day of his beloved mother Queen Luise's death.....I don't believe the award is for a civilian, but the ribbon likely represents Prussian, Bavarian or another region in Germany.....Nice find...Bodes

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The reverse color strips was for a civilian award.
Indeed, EK 2 with black stripes on white ground was issued for non-combatant troops like medics.

There are even a number of British among the 1870 honorees, including General Sir C.P.B Walker, Surgeons General J.H.K.Innes and W.G.N.Manley (also Victoria Cross), General Sir Henry Brakenbury, and Captain Sir James Lumsden Seaton.
General Manley is a particularly interesting case. Manley, who was in charge of the B Section of the British Ambulance attached to the Prussian 22 Infantry Division, was awarded the Iron Cross for his 'devoted and excellent conduct in searching for and caring for the wounded with the 22nd Division in the battles of Chateauneuf and Bretoncelle on 18 and 21 November, and the battles of Orleans and Cravant on 10 December 1870'.

On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the victory over France (September 1, 1870), King Wilhelm II donated on August 18, 1895, a silver foliage (officially white metal) consisting of three oak leaves with the applied anniversary number 25, which was to be worn on the order ribbon of EK II.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info guys much appreciated. Is it OK to post a bunch of the other metals I bought from the same collection here on this thread seems like you are the ones in the know

·
Silver Bullet member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should mention just to keep things honest that I will most likely be selling these at some point in time(except the oil can)...NOT ON THIS THREAD...I know some folks don't like going to the trouble to share their knowledge just to have them pop up for sale the next day...My search is for knowledge and not funds at this time but that is how I feed my own habits!...Just wanted to be clear so as not to make any enemies...Luv all this stuff really!...

Below are two more....I found the one appears to be a naval wound badge-gold tone(it does not show properly in my pics) read that if the deaths head is of ww1 vintage it is most likely a cavalry unit or a storm trooper unit???...It has obviously lost it's pin and maybe someone attempted a repair...I had no idea these went so far back... I have many other beautiful items to go thru yet..and have not cleaned any more than a dry toothbrush...if anyone can tell me where to look for maker mark etc.I may look a bit deeper under the crud....Looking forward to what you folks think one these two

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
more pics....so these two are much heavier...the winged looking piece looks as though it belongs on headgear....guy I got these from said he sold 3 pickelhaubs and a "high hat" or two...and that buyer wanted all these pending photos but dealer had not made any promises nor time for photos so here they sit....again ,nothing more than a stiff nylon brush...did not want to use my gun cleaning chems on these till I knew exactly what I am dealing with..I think I can make out a 12 or 1216 on back of wings..Scott.....Man,I still am most curious about that oil/patch bottle!.....the scratches an high spots on round badge glitter brite like gold

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess one last question for know....Here are three different screwback mounts from ww1...when were these used over being suspended from ribbons etc? Am I correct in assuming these are silver with weight markings?...they sure took their craftmanship seriously back in the day

Attachments

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I guess one last question for know....Here are three different screwback mounts from ww1...when were these used over being suspended from ribbons etc? Am I correct in assuming these are silver with weight markings?...they sure took their craftmanship seriously back in the day
Makers marks. 800 is silver content. Numbers are probably design model or patented numbers. Very nice looking pieces 🤓😎

The skull is an early ss danziger style skull. Missing prongs. Probably sewn onto a cap or uniform

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
These are first class iron crosses and unlike the second class iron cross awards, they were never suspended from ribbons....Bodes

1 - 20 of 27 Posts