Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked the stock on this rifle and thought the price was fair so I ended up getting it. I picked her up from my FFL yesterday and wow is it nice in person. I have not seen a Russian refurb 91/30 that is in an arctic birch stock. Have any of you come across these? It has a standard century import marking on the receiver. The rifle is a 1940 Tula and is a typical mismatch of parts. The mag and butt plates look newly stamped. The barrel bluing is perfect under the wood. The bolt has been force matched. Overall this has to be the nicest looking refurb I have seen. I would say the stock was Finn made except it's a one piece and there are pressed in escutcheons. Perhaps the Russians got a hold of some nice Finnish wood..However it happened I am just glad they skipped the shellac on this one!

The barrel has a few odd marks. The T shape can also be found on the underside of the barrel along with a few Tula stars and "555". I can find no reference to the "P" stamp or what appears to be "50" underneath it.

The stock has a few interesting marks as well. There are at least 4 "triangle 1" marks on it. The is also a Tula star in the finger groove. There are also 3 standard refurb marks of a square with a diagonal line yet these have a circle around then. I couldn't find anything on this either.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
That's a pretty unusual stock to find on a Soviet refurb. I have a 1942 Izhevsk (which definitely hasn't been messed with, as it came straight out of a crate of refurbs) which also has a tiger striped, apparently oil finished stock. Isn't as pretty as that one, though.

Ha! It's a good one for pics so I sneak over when you ain't home!
Yeah, I sneaked over there and did a photo shoot the other day :):

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
:laugh: I'm gonna start charging you guys!!! Right after I shoot the dog for not doing it's job!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The finger grooves are pretty crisp on the edges, the stamps are all present and crisp looking. It does not appear to have been sanded down and it does not have the appearance of having had shellac removed. The wood is most definitely arctic birch. I must respectfully disagree with your opinion on this one.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
has been refinished
correct, some one stripped the finish. All hardwood stocks for 91/30s are arctic birch, you usually can not see them like that because of the shellac masking the grain. Thats why this looks so similar to a Finnish stocks finish which you commonly see because they used BLO, which darkened the grain but not masked it like shellac. But in saying that, this is not a Finnish stock, but a Russian replacement/refurb.

I spy a rebuild mark that looks like its been sanded [\] and the stock splice which was done post war.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Well hot **** I'm gonna be stripping some shellac off some refurbs if this is the case! LOL

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
not all have this pronounced grain.. (think m39s, not all have tiger striping) this was probably spied by the owner before the OP bought it and was done to "enhance" its appearance.

Luckily it was done to a refurb and not something more desirable, and it should now get alot of looks at the range, because even to me its stunning.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I would put a thin coat of finish over it. I'm no finish expert but something thin and with a medium gloss to it.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
:laugh: I'm gonna start charging you guys!!! Right after I shoot the dog for not doing it's job!
I'm a "dog whisperer". One time I was bicycling on a new route, creeping up a brutal hill (about 15% grade) when a brindle Pitbull came out of a yard near the top of the hill in a really nasty mood. No way I could outrun him uphill, and there wasn't time to turn around, so I had to make friends with him. I got home with no lacerations, and rode by there several times afterward with no issues. :)

It's a standard post-ware replacement stock that somebody bubba'd
correct, some one stripped the finish. All hardwood stocks for 91/30s are arctic birch, you usually can not see them like that because of the shellac masking the grain. Thats why this looks so similar to a Finnish stocks finish which you commonly see because they used BLO, which darkened the grain but not masked it like shellac. But in saying that, this is not a Finnish stock, but a Russian replacement/refurb.
Possibly, but don't be too sure. I watched them pull the one I have out of the crate, and its finish is very similar to this one. I'll post pics later today.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Trev you are leaving out some pretty interesting things about this stock btw...didn't know if you wanted to let them cats out of the bag or not.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
The finger grooves are pretty crisp on the edges, the stamps are all present and crisp looking. It does not appear to have been sanded down and it does not have the appearance of having had shellac removed. The wood is most definitely arctic birch. I must respectfully disagree with your opinion on this one.
It's a standard Soviet post-war toe-splited replacement stock with dashed box refurb mark on the buttstock. As such it would have shellac finish, not bare stained finish.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
It's a standard Soviet post-war toe-splited replacement stock with dashed box refurb mark on the buttstock. As such it would have shellac finish, not bare stained finish.
Theoretically, any Soviet refurb, regardless of whether the stock is postwar, recycled wartime, or recycled prewar, should have a shellac finish, but mine is definitely some kind of oil.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts