Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may get a chance to hunt bear in WV in a couple of months. Two things that I ought to set out before I go any further are that I've never hunted bear, and I'm left handed.

As it stands right now, my rifle choices are an M1 Garand and/or a Mosin Nagant M44 (the kind with the folding bayonet).

I also plan to carry either a Colt .357 or a 1911 as an "OH SH*T" backup.

Which rifle should I take?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Go with the Garand simply for the additional muzzle velocity (.30'06 has a slight edge over 7.62x54r out of the M44), and opt for a .44mag if you can. If not, definitely the .357 over the .45acp. Are you hunting black bear? (I'm assuming so, given the place you're hunting)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
Depends on how your hunting? Still/stand hunting? hunting with Dogs(i think thats legal in WV correct?) If you hunting with dogs I would go with the smaller lighter M44 Black bears arent all that hard to kill so I wouldnt worry about which hits harder just shoot straight ,If stand hunting its up to you then I would go with whichever I can shoot better!

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
You have to be real careful with commercial .30-06 in an M1 Garand! Can break your op-rod for one thing. I only use military M2 ball ammo in mine. Suggest you post a question on semi or US mil forum for loading info if you wish to use it.
Between the two rifles - I prefer the M1 Garand. .357 as backup!
Might take ribbing on rthe bayonet on the M44. How about geting a M91/30 or Swiss K31? Both inexpensive, and wont break the bank!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black bear, from a stand/hide position. No dogs.

I'm a little leery about the M1 because of the ammo issue and the size of the weapon.

I see what looks like decent SP ammo in 7.62x54R around. I'm playing with the idea of dropping $100 on an M38 so I won't have to walk around the woods with the bayonet extended on the M44. I'm not from WV, and I've learned that I can't hunt in my state with a rifle that has a bayonet attached.

The only reason I'm thinking about the 1911 as a backup, is that it seems that it would be easier to shoot a single action auto over my shoulder as I run away, than a double action revolver. ;-)

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A friend of mine goes hunting for black bears in NB every year. He can't take his pistol into Canada, and so far hasn't had a need. He has hunted black bear with both a bow (bow season) and with a rifle (30-06). I talked with him at length about bear hunting and he said for the black bears he has only had one that needed a second shot to put it down.
So my advice is no matter which rifle you take, be sure of your shot and their won't be any problems with having to cowboy it.:D:eek:
Southron Boy said:
The only reason I'm thinking about the 1911 as a backup, is that it seems that it would be easier to shoot a single action auto over my shoulder as I run away, than a double action revolver. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts