Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i got a buddy with an old blued steel pistol than he wants to have parkerized. parkerizing is easy but we'd have to have a guy in a local shop do the bead blasting. i was just curious, do i need to COMPELTELY take down the pistol, so there is absolutely nothing in the slide or frame, or can i simply remove the slide, take out the barrel and do the frame and slide like that? thanks!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks for the info. so as far as bead blasting, we should only have the guy do the slide and frame, right? nothing else should be blasted? (well aside from the hammer, safety, etc). i have parkerized a slide before a friend, super easy, but he didn't have me do the smaller parts, shouldn't the hammer and all that junk also be bead blasted and parkerized? appreciate the help

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah hes actually doing it on a star model b. im guessing its probably safest to remove everything, have him do the external parts such as the slide, frame, hammer, safety, slide stop, etc, and then just reassemble it. but i don't know, maybe im wrong

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, for one i live in colorado where these is very little humidity. and the park finish at least looks nice and keeps it from having minor problems. my SA 1911 is parkerized and hasn't gotten a single mark on it in 2 years. my buddy just wants a quick and easy fix to make it look nice. right now the blued steel is all messed up.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hate to keep beating a dead horse here, but i am going to take it in in a week and want to be sure i don't damage my friends firearm. is the consensus that i should remove absolutely everything, take in the external parts such as the slide, frame, hammer, safety, etc, and then should i plug all the holes with rolled up paper or tape to ensure it doesn't mess up how things fit together afterwards? also, the inside of these parts needs to be blasted as well, correct?

again, sorry for the noob questions, i just want to be sure i get it right the first time around

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im actually only going to have the professional bead blast it cause he will do it for $20, but i have another friend who is going to parkerize it with a home kit, hes done it on a few before and said its very easy. i am mostly just concerned with the bead blasting, making sure i get the right stuff blasted without damaging it in any way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.