Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed in the gunsmith shop today a k98 in for a D&T job. Upon closer inspection, the stock is cut (ruined) and bands missing, but the barrelled action is all there to include matching triggerguard and floorplate. Bolt is mismatched but matches itself. Bore is decent but used, metal finish probably around 50%.

It will be a couple weeks before the 'smith gets to cutting. I got the guy's phone number off of the service order form.

I've got a RC S42/G in a laminate stock that would go well on this rifle and then I could hunt for a nice walnut stock for the S42/G.

Should I call him and attempt to rescue it? How much is it worth as a project? I'm under no illusions that it will be a great collectible, as it's already mismatched and will be a parts gun when I'm done with it, but it'd be neat to have a non-RC k98 in the collection.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Depends on what he would want for the action whether you should get it. Sounds like a good project.

-My 2¢-

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
BCD 4

Sounds like the guy is looking for a hunting rifle perhaps you have one to trade him. I have nearly 600 in a restoration but it is also my best NIM and shoots like a house on fire. Regards. Sunfish

·
Copper Bullet member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to call the guy. I'll bet I can get him set up with a brand new scoped sporter for only a little more than it will cost him to have this 98 cut up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah if the price is right in your eyes & pocket book....save it if you can.

I've saved many 98k's from either bubba gettin' a hold of it or to keep bubba from doing anymore damage.

Good luck & take care..........

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,761 Posts
I'd go for it. You can probably get a correct stock with matching bands for it for under $150, then you'd have a nice NIM, non-RC to go with the S/42G...

·
Copper Bullet member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the guy happened into the store today to pick up a shotgun for goose killin'. We talked the situation over (a very nice guy, just underinformed about the desirabilty of WWII bringback k98s) and he decided rescue it himself, take it home as-is, and maybe look for some restoration parts to bring it back to mil-spec. :)

The gun has family value to it, so he's not interested in selling it; but he was very happy to chat about it and hadn't realized that it had more value as-is than it ever would if it was drilled. I pointed him to gunboards for more info -- hopefully he shows up!!

Part of me (the rabid rifle accumulator part) was sad that he didn't want to sell it, but I sure do feel good about helping him appreciate it for what it is and was. He seemed excited to learn more about it. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts