Gunboards Forums banner

BAYONETS: Serial numbers of M 1938 bayonets

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Carcano 
#1 · (Edited)
The bayonets have their own production numbers which have nothing to do with the rifles. They are important in assessing the volumes produced.

Carcano
Posted - 01/03/2004 : 5:39:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prices vary greatly depending upon your sources; these bayonets can be found cheaply at mixed auctions, from estates, or in pawnshops and gunshops, whereas bayonet collectors and specialized dealers take a higher price. Very roughly, between $ 75 and $ 150 is to be expected, though good buys at a third or a quarter of these sums are always possible with some luck.

ken giller
Posted - 01/03/2004 : 5:57:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting how so many of these short rifles don't have the bayo lug anymore. Should you find a source, BeSwift, please let me know. Also, nice find on the bayonet. I'd like to get one for mine as soon as I find a bayonet lug.

BeSwift
Posted - 01/03/2004 : 7:41:14 PM
Man, I'll tell ya, it's always something... I luck into the bayonet that I thought I wouldn't find, and wouldn't ya know it, now I'll probrably need to buy another rifle to canibalize for a stinking bayonet lug.. hhhmmph... Just venting, and really thank both of you guys for your advice and expertise. BeSwift

ken giller
Posted - 01/03/2004 : 9:45:39 PM
I'm about to that point for a bayo lug also. Carcano is the expert, I've just jumped into collecting these rifles and love the three I have.
Ken G.

Carcano
Posted - 01/05/2004 : 3:11:20 PM
I could of course, out of pure gracefulness and clemency, sell you a bayonet lug for the modest price of a cannibalizable M 1938 rifle :). I got one or two waiting here for a new owner.

Incidentally, for bayonet collectors out there, my two 2nd model M 1938 folders (button lock) are serialized thus on the gripstrap:

- E 57396, with small R and "60 in diamond"
- L 23522, with small R and "?4 in diamond", marked "4" on the front side of the mounting ring

Both have medium dark grips of very finely grained wood, and a dark anthrazite "blued" blade (no reddish or brownish hues).

BeSwift
Posted - 01/05/2004 : 6:16:07 PM
Carcano, I'd like to take you up on your bayonet lug offer, if you'd backchannel me (e-mail) at your earliest convenience.

My bayonet also has a nicely blued blade, but shows some hint of reddish areas where the bluing is thin. My markings are:

I 97369 with a small R, and a 5 inside a diamond

ken giller
Posted - 01/05/2004 : 9:01:55 PM
Carcano,oh gracious one, please shoot me a email for details of this baynet lug you speak of.

Thanks,
Ken Giller
giller@earthlink.net

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Dino in Reno
Posted - 01/10/2004 : 01:46:39 AM
I went into the catacombs of Schloss Dino Von Reno (O.K., the basement of my house) and took a look at my two folders. Both are push button, fine grain brown smooth wood.

B32975, uneven and lightly struck, also has CG in an oval, 23 in a lozenge, Blued, some "plum" color to the blade.

A80113, even and deeper struck, MA in a rectangle, a small B with two uneven < > marks near it. Blued, with only a hint of "plum".

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
Discussion starter · #5 ·
M38 Side latch Bayonet Question

Douglas I. Kerley
Posted - 12/20/2004 : 01:03:36 AM
HI; Just picked up my first one of these. Serial numbered 93K. That takes it way out of the "experimental" class.

There is a diamond with a "M" or possibly "W" in the middle of the scabbard belt loop. Any thoughts? Doug

BradB
Posted - 12/20/2004 : 12:11:37 PM
They were not "experimental". Limited production, soon determined to be too complex / not cost effective and discontinued. Someone with better reference material will chime in with manufacturer and dates.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Franchi
Posted - 04/09/2005 : 11:16:14 AM
Have a M38 non-folder marked (IVU) serial D9301 which is the pre (4UT) marking.
And a M91 bayonet dated 1942 GNUTTI marked (4UT) serial RA53027.
David Franchi

Discussion starter · #9 · (Edited)
NebrHogger
Posted - 07/10/2007 : 9:25:42 PM
You mention the groove under the forearm - that's for the folding bayonet as shown here. SW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.