Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Pat. '07s made by the Railways and AECO, a Pat 13 by AECO and a Pat.' 88 by the Railways. A bit rough, but they work!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice Collection. What does AECO stand for? I have a few SA Bayonets. I have a Pattern 1907 with South African Police (SAP) mark and a chromed pattern 1907 with the Arrow U stamp. I have attached a photo of my 1896 Transvaal Bayonet. I don't know if you would consider that a South African bayonet or not. I travel to South Africa a lot and I collect Boer War and South African military and Police items

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Redleg,

I am afraid that Boer bayonets are outside my area, but I can probably put you into contact with those who have studied the field. My line is British and Colonial bayonets.

Unfortunately, nobody is now certain who AECO was. There are several theories, the best of which is probably Amalgamated Engineering Company, a concern that went out of business in the 1960s.

I attach a shot of some more South African bayonets. These were issued to the Natal Volunteers. They were for the Martini Metford Mk II and the Swinburn Carbine.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Terry!

Very nice bayonets espicially the Swinburn. How do you identify the sawback for Natal Volunteers? What are the marks?

Redleg!

The Transwal is a beuty. As Transwal to day is a part of South Africa you could consider the bayonet as South African. Does the bayonet have the marks of Warner Brothers?

/Amsfelder

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bayonet is marked with Natal Volunteer markings. It is probable that they were originally supplied with the Swinburn rifles since the markings are the same, but they also fit the later Martini Metfords MkII.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are no Warner Brothers marks on this bayonet. In fact there are no manufacture or serial numbers marks on it ether. The only mark on the Bayonet is a small star type stamp on the hand guard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are some examples of the markings that appear on typical Natal Volunteer Swinburn rifles and carbines. The sawback is also marked JKL, a marking which appears on at least some of the Natal Volunteer bowie knife bayonets!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Terry,

do you know the date of the sawback bayonet pattern?

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rob,

I don't know for sure, but on the information currently available one can probably make an estimate;

1) The bayonet appears to be a commercial version of the British Pattern 1875 and is thus probably a bit later.

2) The Natal Volunteer marking on the bayonet is what I believe to be the later version of the one found on the Swinburns but predating that found on the Martini Metford rifles which the bayonet also fits. I thus believe that it is safe to assume that it originally came with the Swinburn rifles.

3) I understand that batches of Swinburn Rifles totalling 400 were sent to Natal over the period 1875 to 1878.

So my best guess would be 1876/1877.

Terry

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here is a soldier of the Royal Durban Rifles, with his Swinburn Henry rifle; it looks as if the bayonet is one like yours. I previously thought it was a pattern 1887 sword bayonet, which would make the picture 188os; but now I realise if it is a saw back bayonet then it is 1870s.
Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts