Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the "correct" (if there is one) bayonet for my Yugo rework k98? I'm trying to get bayonets for all of my Mausers, and I'm close, I just need one more 24/47 and then this one, I just don't know what to look for on this.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yugo Rework BAYONET

One possibility would be to get a bayonet equally reworked by the Yugos. I've seen some on a Yugo surplus site for $60, if I remember right; don't ask me WHERE to find that again, though! I did a "Buy it Now" on eBay for $70 on one a few months ago, complete with an original marked German bayonet frog. So you know what I'm talking about, I'll give you a brief description.

The one I got is supposedly typical, from what I've seen/read. Apparantly the bayonets were disassembled, cleaned/polished, reblued, & renumbered in the same way the rifles were. The tell-tale difference between a really mint original condition and the reworks is that the Yugos discarded the flash protectors, and replaced the grips with the same sort of reddish wood used on their own post-war manufactured bayonets. Also, since they were now working with piles of used parts; bayonets were rescabbarded NOT in their original ( serially matching ) scabbards. Both bayonet and scabbard recieved NEW serial numbers, applied to the crossguard of the bayonet and the frog stud flat of the scabbard.

Possibly in a scam effort, mine's "new" serials had been poorly ground & polished off. I thought the price was "too good to be true"; but it worked out OK for me, since I was mainly interested in the included frog, which is perfect! On a rifle hanging on the wall, you can't tell the flash protector's missing; anyway, I put it on my heavily refinished RC "bcd 4". The frog's on my nice "Coppel G.m.bH/1938" bayonet.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please don't laugh, but what is the flash protector?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The flash gaurd is a metal strip that runs on top the length of the grip.It is there to protect the grips from the muzzle blast. This is a flash gaurd on a 98/05, I don't have a photo handy of one on a 84/98 III.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Correkt bayonet would depend in part on how the rifle is marked. IF it is marked preduche(?) 44 then the bayonet would be marked the same.
Sarge

·
Registered
82 Posts
I picked up a couple like new recently. My last one was a Yugo still in cosmo and a plastic bag for $30 with matching numbers. Check with Bob in St Louis. I think I bought one from him.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is marked "Preduzece 44", so it looks like a standard Yugo bayonet would be the one. Cool...I can actually afford one of those :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've got a Preduzece 44 marked bayonet in matching scabbard to sell.
Email me if you're interested.
Sarge

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a Preduzece 44 marked bayonet in matching scabbard to sell.
Email me if you're interested.
Sarge
email sent. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts