Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted By: David Murvihill
Subject: Bayonet purchase: scabbard yes or no?
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 1:13pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So long as you buy it with the understanding that it will never be worth as much as a bayonet with scabbard, I say have at it. I buy bayonets to put on rifles and the scabbards mostly just get in the way. Condition is a completely seperate issue.

-------------
Collector of Uncle Sam's Fantastic Toys. (and Uncle Joe's, and Uncle Willie's, and Aunt Lizzie's, and...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replies:
Posted By: marysdad
I pretty much knock off 40 percent of the value for a naked blade. That said, it likely will cost more than that to buy a solo scabbard, because they are hard to find. For that reason, I usually stay away from naked blades. If it is a rare piece or one that is usually found sans scabbard (like old socket bayonets), I will buy with the expectation of never having a scabbard for it. I buy every solo scabbard that I find cheap (except for common ones like the US M8A1).

-------------
809 Posts on Old Forum
98k Bayonet Collector's Network Member
NRA Life Member
www.worldbayonets.com - www.worldbayonets.com

Posted By: oldsmithy
Depends highly on the blade, there are bayonets out there for which the scabards are so seldom seen most collectors may never handle one in the flesh (I have a couple of bare blades of this ilk) and if you wait to get a scabbard you may never get one, and if you did prices may be 2-4 times as much. other blades are so common in scabbards that buying them sans scabbard is not really justifiable. You really need to know what is out there to make this desicion

-------------
carl www.old-smithy.info

1 - 1 of 1 Posts