Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
As others have stated above, you have to build a good library. A big mistake that many beginning collectors make is not investing in books. I did it myself when I was starting out. "Why spend $xx on a book when I can use that money to buy a bayonet". Believe me, the enjoyment and knowledge you will get from the books is more than adding that new bayonet to the collection. When a new book hits the market, buy it. Chances are you will never get it cheaper than the original selling price (there are exceptions). Most of the better books are worth three times or more what they cost new. Johnson's book on japanese bayonets sold for either $45 or $49 new. At one point I saw it sell for $700!

My opinion, beginning collectors should start off with a copy of Janzens. From there I would suggest the original four volume set of Kiesling (not the new one). This was my primary source of information for many years. Next on my list would be the three volume ABC. It's all in French, but it is easy enough to understand and there are good photographs. These are good, all around refernce books. If you are interested in a specific type of bayonet, there are books that cover single countries or types of bayonets.

· Registered
741 Posts
Jim Maddox's book is great. You will see things in there that you won't find elsewhere. It's a beautiful work with tons of great color photos. I was honored to have several pieces from my collection included in the book.

I do not like the new Kiesling. Bought a copy because I buy just about every bayonet book that comes out. Looked through it when I first got it and I don't think it's been off the shelf since. I've read differing views, but I like the way the original Kiesling has bayonets listed by length. Only problem is that originally it was going to be a two volume set and was organized as such. Along came volume 3 and it starts with short bayonets again. Same with volume 4. So if you measure a bayonet you have to look through three books. Small inconvenience in my opinion. The French ABC books are set up the same way.

Frank Trzaska has a large number of books available on his web site, including a full set of Kiesling. Check it out: http://usmilitaryknives.com/books.htm

· Registered
741 Posts
Janzen's Remington book is excellent, but it is very limited in scope. It covers the early Remington yataghans through the M1917. There is a lot of information about the various bayonets and foreign contracts. But if those aren't bayonets that you collect or are interested in, as a new collector I'd steer you more toward books with a diversified content.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.