Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, being kind of new to this, I was wondering where you guys find most of your bayonet information?
I'm aware of "Bayonets from Janzen's Notebook" by Jerry L. Janzen and "Bayonets of the World: The Complete Edition" by Paul Kiesling. I've asked a few questions here on gunboards, surplusrifleforum, and swissriflesdotcomforum. I was wondering where do you guys get your information so you know what exactly you're looking for?

Also where are some places you get your bayonets? I know obviously talking to people with similar interests. As well as gun shows, gun stores, pawn shops, flea markets, auctions, yard sales... ebay, gunbroker, armslist. What are some other sites to find them on? I stumbled across Ebayonet.com and LibertyTreeCollectors.com; but I know there has to be more good sources to find things... what are some of your favorites?

I'm especially interested in finding out information on the blades such as which rifles they goto, when they were made, different variations, the correct scabbards and frogs, etc; so that I'm able to figure things out without just making post after post on these forums.

Thanks for all your help!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the great info, i snagged up a copy of Janzen's Notebook, just waiting for it to come in. That should get me going in the right direction. I'm going to keep an eye out for Maddox's Collecting Bayonets; Kiesling's Bayonets of the World; and Carter's Frog book.
I heard they reordered things in Kiesling's consolidated version, is it really that much worse? It seems that 4 volume set will set me back much more than one of the reprints..

i also found this thread on here from years ago, but good information never goes out of style :) http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?91033-best-bayonet-reference-book

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thats awesome to have your items be published! That book looks like a real awesome piece to have; I was looking through the sample pages.

On Janzen, whats the "Bayonets of the Remington Cartridge Period"? It appears to be his only other book, seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab up, that site you mentioned has it at a price I manage... Like what era/countries would that one cover? I couldn't find any information on it really or a table of contents...

You can't put a value on quality I know, its great to have some solid reference materials on hand. Some of these though books are almost more rare and sought after than most of the blades they feature haha. I'm going to stave away from the French books for now, solely because I'm sure it would frustrate me (not very good with foreign languages). I will definitely be checking out your sites marysdad and old-smithy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.