Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, being kind of new to this, I was wondering where you guys find most of your bayonet information?
I'm aware of "Bayonets from Janzen's Notebook" by Jerry L. Janzen and "Bayonets of the World: The Complete Edition" by Paul Kiesling. I've asked a few questions here on gunboards, surplusrifleforum, and swissriflesdotcomforum. I was wondering where do you guys get your information so you know what exactly you're looking for?

Also where are some places you get your bayonets? I know obviously talking to people with similar interests. As well as gun shows, gun stores, pawn shops, flea markets, auctions, yard sales... ebay, gunbroker, armslist. What are some other sites to find them on? I stumbled across Ebayonet.com and LibertyTreeCollectors.com; but I know there has to be more good sources to find things... what are some of your favorites?

I'm especially interested in finding out information on the blades such as which rifles they goto, when they were made, different variations, the correct scabbards and frogs, etc; so that I'm able to figure things out without just making post after post on these forums.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
587 Posts
There are probably 150 bayonet books out thee many written in the last 20 years when I started collecting there were few books. Seach bayonet books on ebay always a ton for sale. Good luck finding a frog id book only good one is Anthonu Carter's and it sells for 300.00 when you can find one. Luckily I got mine years ago
All the places you memtioned are good for findin bayonets
Military and Antique gun shows are the best. Most bubba gun shows have little in the way of quality items though you do find a gem everyonce in awhile.
Bigdog

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Have a look on my site there are over 300 books in my library documented in the Bibliography section that are in my collection, not including magazines, I would join the SABC, mainly sockets but the magazine is well worth a read, also the IBA from France which is in English and the AFCB in France which is unfortunately only in French (links to all three are on the Bibliography section. Of course there is my site with over 2000 bayonet pictured although not as much info as i would like, but i only have so much time, and then there is Arms2Armor - do a search on bayoents and it comes right up. Fro buying there is Otto at www.ebayonet.com, Shawn gibsons site, and several other good bayonet sales sites out there.

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
When I was starting out, I picked up a couple of books (Janzen's and Carter's last price guide). I spent a lot of time studying the books, looking on eBay, and going to shows and antique malls, just to practice identification. Of course, I bought a few things along the way, however, I did waaaay more looking than buying. I participated in the old rec.guns newsgroup (there was no gunboards, surplusrifle, etc. back then). I continued adding a book for every 3 or so bayonets (have about 90 bayonet books today). I kept a database, so I never lost track of information about the bayonets in my collection. The database eventually became the seed from which the worldbayonets.com site grew.

·
Registered
740 Posts
As others have stated above, you have to build a good library. A big mistake that many beginning collectors make is not investing in books. I did it myself when I was starting out. "Why spend $xx on a book when I can use that money to buy a bayonet". Believe me, the enjoyment and knowledge you will get from the books is more than adding that new bayonet to the collection. When a new book hits the market, buy it. Chances are you will never get it cheaper than the original selling price (there are exceptions). Most of the better books are worth three times or more what they cost new. Johnson's book on japanese bayonets sold for either $45 or $49 new. At one point I saw it sell for $700!

My opinion, beginning collectors should start off with a copy of Janzens. From there I would suggest the original four volume set of Kiesling (not the new one). This was my primary source of information for many years. Next on my list would be the three volume ABC. It's all in French, but it is easy enough to understand and there are good photographs. These are good, all around refernce books. If you are interested in a specific type of bayonet, there are books that cover single countries or types of bayonets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the great info, i snagged up a copy of Janzen's Notebook, just waiting for it to come in. That should get me going in the right direction. I'm going to keep an eye out for Maddox's Collecting Bayonets; Kiesling's Bayonets of the World; and Carter's Frog book.
I heard they reordered things in Kiesling's consolidated version, is it really that much worse? It seems that 4 volume set will set me back much more than one of the reprints..

i also found this thread on here from years ago, but good information never goes out of style :) http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?91033-best-bayonet-reference-book

·
Registered
740 Posts
Jim Maddox's book is great. You will see things in there that you won't find elsewhere. It's a beautiful work with tons of great color photos. I was honored to have several pieces from my collection included in the book.

I do not like the new Kiesling. Bought a copy because I buy just about every bayonet book that comes out. Looked through it when I first got it and I don't think it's been off the shelf since. I've read differing views, but I like the way the original Kiesling has bayonets listed by length. Only problem is that originally it was going to be a two volume set and was organized as such. Along came volume 3 and it starts with short bayonets again. Same with volume 4. So if you measure a bayonet you have to look through three books. Small inconvenience in my opinion. The French ABC books are set up the same way.

Frank Trzaska has a large number of books available on his web site, including a full set of Kiesling. Check it out: http://usmilitaryknives.com/books.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thats awesome to have your items be published! That book looks like a real awesome piece to have; I was looking through the sample pages.

On Janzen, whats the "Bayonets of the Remington Cartridge Period"? It appears to be his only other book, seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab up, that site you mentioned has it at a price I manage... Like what era/countries would that one cover? I couldn't find any information on it really or a table of contents...

You can't put a value on quality I know, its great to have some solid reference materials on hand. Some of these though books are almost more rare and sought after than most of the blades they feature haha. I'm going to stave away from the French books for now, solely because I'm sure it would frustrate me (not very good with foreign languages). I will definitely be checking out your sites marysdad and old-smithy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Janzen's Remington book is excellent, but it is very limited in scope. It covers the early Remington yataghans through the M1917. There is a lot of information about the various bayonets and foreign contracts. But if those aren't bayonets that you collect or are interested in, as a new collector I'd steer you more toward books with a diversified content.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts