Gunboards Forums banner

Bayonet ID

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  porterkids 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just got this bayonet and I am not quite sure about it. It looks like a Belgian M1889 Civil Guard variant. However, it is somewhat poorly made and it is completely unmarked.

MRD is app. 1,6 cm and the blade length is app. 29,5 cm.

I saw a similar bayonet for sale and according to a seller its blade was marked with Alex Coppel stamp.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Rusnak

See less See more
#5 ·
Look closely in the fuller, and on the face of the guard. Markings on the Remington, and Winchester bayonets for the Lee Navy rifle are very small.

#7 ·
I'm thinking Uruguay M1894.

#9 ·
You guys beat me to it.
Definetely German made for South-America.
Hard to tell for which country if there is no national emblem or if it has been erased.
Brgds, A

#10 · (Edited)
This is a bayonet I put with my Loewe M1894 Brazilian long rifle. It looks like what Janzen calls a Uruguayan bayonet #1 on page 240. It is definitely made in Belgium but I don't know the user country. The blade length is 299mm and the muzzle ring ID is 16mm. The frog is Bulgarian.

I bought the bayonet many years ago with no history.

Attachments

#13 ·
Car99, it may be that both your bayonet and mine were imported from Uruguay. But I think it is a reasonable possibility that the same type of bayonets were used with the Brazilian FN1894 rifles. Then, when FN was forced to quit making the rifles and Loewe sent more M1894 rifles to Brazil, I think it is a reasonable possibility that Brazil continued to buy bayonets from Belgium to maintain a common style of bayonet. Pure guessing, I know.

#15 ·
It does, kinda. The M1908 has a low ring, the subject bayonet has a high ring. The M1908 bayonets were made in Germany and Brazil, the subject bayonet was made in Belgium.

#17 ·
Think you need to wind your neck in mate, just because the bayonet is not your cup of tea their is no need to be rude to its owner & call it "piss poor".
A bit of courtesy Iis not much to ask for, quite a few collectors think that its better to have an example of a bayonet than to have no example at all or have it as a gap filler until a better example comes along,
Aleck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.