Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come some K31 bayo frogs have a buckle and some have a strap with button? Specifically...I get how the former works...strap from scabbard goes into buckle. But for the latter...being as scabbard and frog both have straps...how does that work??

·
Registered
657 Posts
Easy question:

The frogs with strap and button are M57 frogs for the bayonet M57 issued with the Stgw 57.

M57 are more common than the original DB89/99/18 frogs. So then the greedy profiteers cut off the leather strap from the scabbard and supplement the bayonet with an M57 frog. The bayonet (or the scabbard) is then worthless from a collector's point of view.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy question:

The frogs with strap and button are M57 frogs for the bayonet M57 issued with the Stgw 57.

M57 are more common than the original DB89/99/18 frogs. So then the greedy profiteers cut off the leather strap from the scabbard and supplement the bayonet with an M57 frog. The bayonet (or the scabbard) is then worthless from a collector's point of view.
Could you clarify what is meant by "DB89/99/18"??

So I understand only the frogs with the buckle would be correct for a K31 bayonet such as the M1914 or M1918 sawback. Now let me lay out my entire quest and welcome any guidance. I have total of FOUR swiss bayonets/scabbards as follows that I am seeking to obtain frogs for:

bayo M1918/55 (sn 253065 = 1956) - scabbard HAS leather tab
bayo M1918 (sn=none) unissued so year unknown - scabbard HAS leather tab
bayo M1914 sawback (sn 769) dunno what to make as far as year for that s/n; scabbard DOES NOT have leather tab
bayo M1914 sawback (sn 603141 = 1940) scabbard HAS leather tab

I have noticed that some frogs have aluminum rivets, some do not. So what I understand so far is...all frogs for these bayos should have buckles. Do any "require" the rivets to be correct? I attempt to match frog date with bayo date but that is not always how they issued as far as I know so I let that slide so long as the combo would not be deemed "incorrect" if that makes sense.
Normally I research this stuff to find what I am looking for but I could not find clear specific reference info on frogs.

Thank you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
DB89 = Dolchbajonett 1889
DB99 = Dolchbajonett 1899
DB18 = Dolchbajonett 1918
SB06 = Sägebajonett 1906, Sawback 1906)
SB14 = Sägebajonett 1914, Sawback 1914
DB89/18 = Dolchbajonett 1889 with an added knob in the blade
DB18/55 = Dolchbajonett 1918 with grip from Sawback 1914

Sawbacks are using frogs with larger openings for the scabbard.

All DB89, DB99, DB18, SB06, SB14, DB18, DB89/18 and DB18/55 must have the leather tabs. If not, they have been modified after service and the value is significantly reduced.

Some of the leather tabs broke. In army service, armorers attached a new leather tab. When the leather tab broke after service, the private owners cut the remaining parts off and attached a M57 frog. Uninformed people could not recognize this and will pay the normal price.

Frogs have been manufactured by hundreds of small firms. So they will differ slightly, also the rivets.

So your sawback S/N 769 has been modified after service and collectors value is reduced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts