Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I had one hell of a weekend at the local gun show last weekend. I came in with $700, the most I ever had for one gun show, and I left with three rifles and this bayonet. From what I could gather this is a WW1 German butcher blade bayonet that is in very decent shape and even has some dried cosmoline still on it. My friend, who collects swords and other edged weapons, had this tucked away in his stuff for sale and I knew I had to have it. His price tag was $200 but I was able to talk him down to half that at $100. I bought it to go with my k98 that I bought at the same show (I know two different time periods but the bayonet fits and looks cool on the end of my k98). Hope everyone likes it and as usual all comments are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Very nice bayonet, and 100 is a steal for 98/05 bayonet, that's a price I would have paid 12 years ago for one. The blade appears to have thin bluing on it? It could be of 1918 production. Look on the spine of the blade towards the hilt, you will see some numbers there. Such as 15, 16, 17, 18, there will also be a W above that number. The W is for Kaiser Wilhelm's cypher.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think bluing is there (not real sure since I've never seen a 98/05 in person) but my experience is going off the small bayonet collection I inherited and then split among the family (three random bayonets that I thought were German, two German sawback bayonets, and a French Gras bayonet that I ended up keeping).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have an '06 Erfurt sawback- so ppbbbllllttttttttt...! ;) And OP- the blued blade is legit; it just shows your bayonet was re-issued to a German unit after the Great War. A few of these are stamped 1920 on the crossguard, showing they were counted under the terms of the treaty limiting Germany to the small arms necessary to equip the 100,000 man self-defense army they were allowed to have.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
very nice leather sheath
the unit markings stand for this is what a guy told me he was selling about five on ebay a few years ago and all of his were unit marked and he knew what they stood for so I asked about mine this is what he said
very nice leather sheath
the unit markings stand for this is what a guy told me .

I suspect it is R.2.P.25.138 which would be 2.Reserve-Pioneer Kompagnie, Stab Kgl. Bayerisches Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 25, Waffe (weapon) Nr. 138. Part of the 2nd Bavarian Landwehr Division they initially served on the Eastern Front, entering the line in the Baltic region near Riga. In September 1917, it participated in the Battle of Riga. The division then remained on the line on the Duna River until the armistice on the Eastern Front in December 1917. For most of 1918, it served in Livonia and Estonia as part of the German occupation forces. In October 1918, it was transferred to the Western Front, and occupied a portion of the trenchline in Lorraine until the end of World War I. Allied intelligence rated the division as fourth class.
enjoy I love yours panzerfaust44

·
Read Only
0 Posts
love these bayonets would be scary as hell to have a angry hun charge you with this attached. the reading I have done on these tho they were used in the rear by pioneer units. . just crazy stories to these bayonets google them . nice set of three thank you guys for sharing .

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
love these bayonets would be scary as hell to have a angry hun charge you with this attached. the reading I have done on these tho they were used in the rear by pioneer units. . just crazy stories to these bayonets google them . nice set of three thank you guys for sharing .
Allied propaganda played a nice juicy role in making these bayonets seem "Beastly" when in fact saw back bayonets had been in British service since the mid 19th century.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Ja, many of the European powers issued sawbacks, and as jeep sez they were pioneer/engineer bayonets intended to assist in preparing gun positions by using the saw to remove brush and limbs that would obstruct fields of fire. The Belgians and Germans even issued massive saw-backed bayonets that could also be used as machetes for the same kind of work and these were essentially useless as bayonets due to their weight...
That Allied propaganda resulted in sawbacks being recalled and having the teeth ground off- beastly Huns indeed, doing that to what would one day become fine collectibles! ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.