Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally found the Ml.16 Berthier full length rifle of my dreams, and I naturally want a bayonet to go with it. I have been trying to determine which one is the correct one for the rifle.

Is it the broad bladed 1892 or the Rosalie, and if it is a Rosalie, which model....?

My mind boggles....

·
Registered
417 Posts
The French were infamous for not throwing anything away. The Lebel can take the blade, or any number of cruciform spike bayonets. Any of them are correct in that any of them will fit and were at one time or another on these guns. I'm sure someone will have more info soon, if not I will consult my books when I get home.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Rosalie

Greetings,

For the most part, the long rifles Lebel and Berthier take only the cruciform bayonet designed for the 1886 Lebel. The Models 1902 and 1907 Berthier designs take a special bayonet that is similar to the 1886, but with a different locking mechanism. The Lebel, the 1907/15, and the 1916 long rifles will not take the 1892 blade bayonet which was designed for the Berthier carbines.

As to which bayonet to get for your rifle, I'd go with the brass hilt, without quillon model. You can find them all over ebay or other auction sites. Price varies from reasonable to outrageous, depending on the tilt of the earth or some other such unfathomable factor.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Egostomus,

I thought it might be the brass handled cruciform, but wanted to check. I'll pick one up at some point since they seem to grow on trees these days. It'll make a mighty fine toothpick :)

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Grip material for the Lebel/Berthier rifles can also be aluminum or steel as well as brass. There are still some very nice specimens out there with and without quillions but the prices are creeping up. I have nine of these bayonets and all are nicely made but they all do not interchange between the Lebel and the Berthier as some hand fitting was involved. The shorter blade type bayonets for the Berthier " carbines " make a handy little package when attached. These came with horn ( some say composition ) grips or wood grips, with and without the quillion modification. happy collecting! Joe

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Mle 92 Bayonet

Joe: I have seen, Horn (very rare!) Composite materiel, (some kind of early micarta IIRC), and two kinds of wood, walnut and beechwood....

Dale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts