Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further to my previous post, attached are some more pictures from my visit to Mikasa. By the way that's my better half standing behind the rangefinder and peeking out from the aft con (picture in part 1) and made the trip without complaining as to the amount of time I spent wandering around the ship.

Hope to be able to get down to Mikasa on my next trip and with luck be able to obtain permission to do a phot layout of areas of vessel normally closed to public.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
36,322 Posts
Thanks for the posts. Too bad there are so few survivors of that era.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,552 Posts
Envy you, greatly, bigriver. Hope you get into the turrets and engine and boiler rooms.

The big reciprocating engines are impressive - I have been down inside BB35 (Texas) as well as in an open twin 14" turret. A bit newer, and American instead of British-design, but close enough to know you'll be impressed by what you see if you get to.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately do not recall where the bow crest is from and did not get picture of the signage.

Back in the late 70's had visited the Olympia in Philadelphia and at that time was allowed in the engine and boiler rooms. When compared to the engine rooms of the merchant vessels I sailed and worked on, the Olympia engine spaces were a real eye opener. Visited Olympia again in '98 at which time the same spaces were closed to public as result of deterioration and lack of maintenance.

As for the main guns, have always thought they should be displayed with dummy shells & powder bags showing various stages of loading.

Being retired with children in both places, we split our time between New Jersey and Tokyo. Intend on being back in Tokyo some time in the fall and will post more if successful in obtaining access to more spaces of Mikasa.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,552 Posts
I think most Japanese public vessels of the Mikasa's time (and for some period after) carried the Chrysanthemum bow crest, so could have come from any number of vessels. be interesting to know which one, of course.

Might check the web-site for Battleship Texas, as IIRC it has a gun with an inert shell and powder bag dummies positioned for loading. no dummies showing how the 5"/51 secondaries were served, though.

If you get a chance, you would enjoy a visit to San Jacinto and a tour of Texas.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
WRT the crest, were I a betting man I'd say the one in the display case was the original and the one on the bow a (relatively cheap) reproduction. Those were something like the representative of the emporer on the ship, and were held in very high regard. When the ship is manned you don't have to worry about it, but as a museum ship the chances of it being stolen are pretty high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.