Gunboards Forums banner

"Battle Damaged" Type 99's/38's

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Josh man 
#1 ·
I have been interested recently in trying to find a battle damaged type 99 or 38 rifle becasue of the "been there look."

Here is one that I found: Does this look like it was shot or shrapnel hit it like the seller said?

Please Please Please post pictures of your battle damaged Tyep 99 or 38's.

Here is the description from the seller:
"This great battle damaged piece was struck by either a bullet or shrapnel about 2 1/4 inches below the lower barrel band causing the action to twist upward out of the stock. No bolt is in the gun and several small parts are now missing. The mum has been ground. The stock is now cracked at the wrist and forward of the floor plate caused by the bullet impact. A real battle damaged piece for the Jap or WWII collector. FFL or C&R"

Thanks,
Swayne

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here is my only battle-damaged rifle... A matching Type 38 with full mum. It looks (judging by the condition of the wood and metal) as if it lay out in the field for at least several days before someone picked it up. It has a rotting US sling on it. The bullet hole came from what would seem to be a pretty small-caliber round.

Attachments

#7 ·
T99guy,
It is kinda hard to say for sure; could be battle damage; or fell off the rack damage??

Some of the guys here have pretty 'nice' battle damaged rifles, if that is the right way to describe one. I'm sure they will post the picts.

I have a T 38 that had what looks like a bullet strike to the barrel, I'll take a picture and post it later.

Reactions: Shadow64
#8 ·
This T-K came with this piece of paper taped to the buttstock. Note the old wood screw holding the stock together.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a type 99 that has damage from being in a landing craft chock full of rifles (it was going to be dumped into Tokyo Harbor, but it was saved before it was dumped, it even has an intact mum, proof that not all intact mums indicate combat capture). I have a Mauser 98k that has a bullet hole in the stock with brain spatter marks on the reciever and damage to the barrel shank. Still shoots fine, its just kinda ugly.

#11 ·
I have a type 99 that has damage from being in a landing craft chock full of rifles (it was going to be dumped into Tokyo Harbor, but it was saved before it was dumped, it even has an intact mum, proof that not all intact mums indicate combat capture).
That would be a surrender damaged rifle ;)

#13 ·
Sure - most of the dings on many of these rifles was caused by "rifle piles". You will see impressions made from bolt handles, sights, sling swivels, etc.
Of course, there were probably after battle rifle piles as well.

#18 ·
My theory is, that most battle damaged weapons were left where they lay, as who wanted a shot-up gun? Unless as a curio, or sentimental value. A letter from the PTO, published in Banzai, stated that the writer was sorry for not sending a souvanir rifle home yet. Those he had come across, were all shot, or burned up. I can totally see that. Most of the damaged rifles I have seen, look OK. Helmets on the other hand, are quite often suspect. Especially, when you see .22 cal. size holes in them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.