Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would try out posting some pics on the new board. The first rifle is a 2nd series (50k) mummed and match with most of the goodies. It is a shrapnel hole, and the bit of shrapnel is still in there, pushing out the wood on the otherside of the stock. It can been seen with a flashlight. The second is also a 2nd series (10k) mummed w/ some of the goodies. This one appears to have had a glancing blow by a high velocity projectile, a .30 cal bullet fits nicely, but that is a bit of redneck ballistics for you. The metal is obvious affected, not only dented but some broken edges too, and the wood fibers, while broken, have risen back up. It appears that some one used a screw driver long ago to try and pry up the band. Thankfully all they did was just depress the wood a little and not scratch the whole thing up or undo the damage and ruin it for me. I like these damaged pieces, and while I may personally be willing to pay a bit more for one, (just to have it) I do not think they enhance value of the piece

·
Silver Bullet member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That was easy! looks like we can upload larger pics too. I'll try that later

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Hi Mike,
yes, the limit is back to 300kb from 250kb. Uploading is easy and quick; but there is a limit of 5 to a post. Maybe something that can be changed, but I had to do three posts for the picts on my T38 thread. I do like the thumbnails and clicking to enlarge. Makes it much easier to see and understand what is being said.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,991 Posts
I think a battle damaged rifle with the bringback papers & the story from the vet would be priceless!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I am not mistaken, the bit I read said the max on a jpg or jpeg was 300MB 1200x1000, but alot of my high resolution pics are much larger and my photo shop sucks hot wind.

I would also find such a vet direct rifle to be priceless. But I don't buy second hand stories and am leary of papers, especially after seeing a bunch of blank forms(faked?) in the hands of a less than scrupulous individual.

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,991 Posts
Faked blank forms? First I've heard of this. Can you post a photo of one & did they all look the same? Be nice to know what to look out for.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry but I cant, I don't have one, wish I did would be really handy these days. I hadn't the foresight then. But then again papered guns use to be just "nice to have" not a $200-400 premium. Unfortunately they may also not have been fake, just may have been. It is paper work and I am sure piles of it is around somewhere. I am sure most are original, but this recent spike in prices concerns me.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Picture size

Mike,
It is a pain to compress your hi res pictures to allow them to be posted; but I'm sure you understand that no limit would result in pictures so big that the storage would be used up un-neccessarily and quickly. People would be posting picts with 6 or 10 mb size.

You can use the picture manager in Windows to do minor adjustments, including compression with your pictures. I had to do this to every picture in the book and every post, so I usually just add a comp. suffix to the pict and save it again, then I have the choice of which to open.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really understand, I am merely a barbarian banging away at the key board. I found it shocking that the stated max size was 300MB, which is outrageous. None of my picks are big in that sense but the pixel count is much larger than they allow. I have gone back and checked several times to make sure I am not nuts, but it says 300MB everytime

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wonder why so many people felt the need to attack Japanese rifles with screwdrivers and/or hammers? I have run across too many of these things. Cool looking battle damage though. I see many stocks that are torn all up, but can't always tell if they are "battle damaged" or been dropped down the stairs in the basement. But pieces of shrapnel still in there are a good indication!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definetly don't really consider dings and dents as battle damage, even though some may very well be. "...I got this one with teeth marks" is now a classic. I once even saw a charred to a crisp 99. Many liked it and said it must have been brought out of a burnt cave by a proud marine. What most missed was that it was burned post grinding, garage or house fire I suppose. Owner knew this, just wanted to hear the stuff people would make up about it as they passed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts