Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
havent thought of the nortons for quite a while , had a freind buy one new in 72 , needed it to keep up with my 72 bonnie ,

the rifle is indeed in need of TLC , but looks quite restorable , the ishy wood might have to be refinished as well but what the heck ,

·
Banned
903 Posts
750 Norton...an engine stretched to the limit???

The last English basketcase I assembled was a Norton Commando. Just bought another one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121674350 . Missed the Ishy screw though ! Hoping the RFI Boys went easy on her . Hey ! now I can claim to have assembled an "Indian" basketcase !
I think the 750 Commando engine was called the 'combat' motor..... people said it was called that because it was just waiting for a chance to blow up.... :) Until they put bigger main bearings on that 750 (and later 850) motor they were always a bit fragile.

I think they called those special main bearings 'roller blend' or something like that...??? I had 3 Nortons of the Atlas model (750 motor featherbed frame) but never got around to a Commando. maybe the rubber engine mounts made them smoother but they were apparently another story in themselves.... :) Although to be fair I did many many miles on those engines and only one destroyed itself. Con rod snapped just below the small end eye and the rest of the rod thrashing around took out both engine cases.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Combat was a hi-po version mine was a standard 72 750,never blew up on me but provided a LOT of education (I was 18) . Traded it for a POS hot rod when i was around 28 still regret parting company with the bike .I didn't mind the "Isolastic" mounts but parts were so hard to come by back then . The world was not electronicly linked when I was working on it. One was lucky if the hippies who dealt in Brit parts around here at the time had a phone! Good Times !

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
"I think the 750 Commando engine was called the 'combat' motor..... people said it was called that because it was just waiting for a chance to blow up...."

i think they called it that because they were challengeing triumphs right to lable their bikes "the fastest in the world-bonneville salt flats" it was the year of the hurricane for triumph , that three cylinder had the speed but i think it was more prone to 'blowing up'

·
Banned
903 Posts
twins and triples...

Yeah interesting. I never had a chance to work the 'triples' very hard...(Triumph Trident or BSA Rocket 3) but I used to race various Norton and Triumph twins on road race tracks in Aust in the 60's.

The Norton engine was always fragile...was only a bored out 500 Dominator after all...and in those days the triumph 650 twin was just a better job...hence the making of 'Tritons'...Norton featherbed frames with triumph engines...

Yes when the triples appeared they did get a lot of success in road racing....one got a 100 mph lap at the Isle of Man...... then there were worked over commandos.. etc etc...but I think in the end it was the triumph triple that ruled the roost in those 'production' races....

For Gods sake shoot me...Im rambling again...... :)

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Ratrod30

Forget about the Norton motorcycles and whiteriders childhood fantasies and get rid of your boiled linseed oil, raw linseed oil was applied to the Enfield until the 1950s.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Ed, you have it all wrong ! I ate to much Wisconsin cheese , The BLO helps releive the bloockages one can get from such over ingestion.
nice pics ! By the time I get my model A together I will be to old to enjoy it .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.