Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
9,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have what is described as a Model '94 on the way, with a 23.25 inch barrel. The seller says it's a cut-down, not a carbine, but the front and rear sights look original. Can someone explain the whole "cut-down" process to me so that this description makes sense?
TIA

Serial number (673X) shows an 1895 date. Here's a pic:

·
Copper Bullet member
9,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I'm not asking the right questions. If this started life as a Model 1892 rifle;
- was the original barrel cut and a new front sight attached, or was a shorter barrel mounted?
- was the original stock cut and modified, or was it replaced with a carbine stock?
Thanks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The whole cut-down process is and was pretty simple. You got this real cheap surplus Krag rifle, and you cut down the stock and barrel to suit you. Long barrels are awkward in the woods. Cut it off, recrown it, put the front sight back on, or get another front sight, maybe even a receiver sight. Yours was a rifle from day one. There were only a few model 92 carbines made. Model 92, yes that's what yours is. They didn't start making them until 94, but they were known as model 92s. Only around 25,000 of the nearly 600,000 Krags were model 92's. It should make you an excellent shooter. I have one cutdown, and a couple full length, they are all excellent shooters. Yours has the old model 92 handguard that doesn't cover the receiver ring, and thus is fitted with either the model 92 or 96 rear sight, though I have seen one 92 handguard modified by Bubba to take the 1901 sight. To wring the best accuracy out of it, slug your bore. Mine are all .310" groove diameter and best accuracy comes from bullets made for the 7.62 Russians or .303 British. A .308 groove diameter Krag barrel is a rarity. Get yourself a book about Krags, you'll enjoy learning about them. WARNING: The surgeon general has determined that Krags are addictive! It doesn't look like the stock has been sanded much. A good candidate for restoration with a new CMP or original full length barrel and a replacement fore end. Wanna sell it?

Oops, I didn't answer some of your questions. Your stock was just cut off, probably the barrel too. Carbine stocks held the lower band in place with a spring, they didn't have sling swivels, though the Army added some much later. Also, carbines had 22" barrels. You should really consider restoration, especially since the CMP is offering new barrels for $200. I can see that yours has been upgraded to model 96 standards, so the cheap restoration point to shoot for would be a model 92/96. Getting it back fully to model 92 configuration would be an expensive proposition, bolt parts being the hardest thing to get. I know a fellow in Ohio that machines the proper fore end without the lightening cuts the later models have, he also makes one with the cleaning rod slot the model 92 originally had. (Get the book, then you'll know what I'm talking about.) I think you'll find the accuracy of your rifle to be outstanding as it is, above all else, enjoy it.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great info, thanks!
So I guess the big question is who did, and how the barrel cut/recrown/sight reattach was done. If done well, should be a great shooter, my primary goal.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got a Norwegian Krag in similar apperance but the bore is pretty bad. I noticed the comment about CMP barrels. Will a U.S. Krag barrel fit a Norwegian Krag? At this point I'd like a shooter instead of a wall hanger.

Thanks,
Oly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts