Gunboards Forums banner

Barrel Markings on Enfield No.4 Mk.I

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jrhead75 
#1 ·
I picked up an Enfield No.4 Mk1 at a local pawn shop. All matching, nice wood and mirror bright bore.

On the top of the muzzle are the following stamps:

BNP 303 2.222". The BNP has a crown over it. At the right of the 2.222 there is what looks like crossed flags with a L on the left , a number 9 at the bottom and a U on the right side.

The is another line with the stamps: 19.5 tons PLR.

Was this some kind of fire proofing done at the factory or at a later time by some other country?

I can not find any import marks on the rifle. The top of the receiver is stamped BNP with a crown over it.

Any idea what all these markings/stamps mean????

#3 ·
4th Gordons has it right. Also...it's crossed swords, and the 'L' means that the commercial proof was done in 1960, the letter on the right should be a 'B', with the number on the bottom a '3', indicating the inspector's rank.

#5 ·
Certainly a pre '68 import. All arms on the commercial market in the UK are required to be proofed at either the London or Birmingham proof house. The marks just mean that it was in the UK at some point after it's release by the government.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.