Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you have seen the recent offerings from PB. One very nice looking (but very overpriced IMHO) 1941 Sako has a "2" stamped on the barrel shank behind the rear sight. I see that 7.62.x54R.net identifies this mark as "Indicates 2nd grade accuracy". From my research, it appears that this mark, when applied to M39s, is found primarily on rifles bearing a 1941 date. I see that most claim that the mark means substandard accuracy, while others dispute that claim and believe it means something else. Can anyone (maybe one of our Finn MN experts?) shed some light on what this mark means and how/why it was determined that a rifle should bear this mark?

Thanks!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,295 Posts
It has been discussed many times before, so if you search the forum you will see plenty of long explanations. The short version is that we don't know what it stands for, but it is found on all rifles in the 212000 to 214000 range, and no rifles outside that range.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been discussed many times before, so if you search the forum you will see plenty of long explanations. The short version is that we don't know what it stands for, but it is found on all rifles in the 212000 to 214000 range, and no rifles outside that range.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Thanks - I did search the forums but there were so many posts, I really didn't know where to begin. Are you saying that all rifles in that serial number range have the "2" or just that the "2" is only found within that range?

·
Gold Bullet member
2,295 Posts
Yes, there are no rifles in that range without it, and no rifle outside that range that has the mark. So there were 2,000 out of 60,000 made and they were all in one range. There were also some ranges of 28-30s with this mark too, but we are only discussing M39s right now ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts