Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Commercial Bulgarian Mak (arsenal, mfg in 1999) in .380. I really wanted 9x18 but the price was right, and that changing the barrel wasn't that big of a deal. Anyone know what barrel I can put on the gun? Will a regular 9x18 barrel work or not?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just bought a Commercial Bulgarian Mak (arsenal, mfg in 1999) in .380. I really wanted 9x18 but the price was right, and that changing the barrel wasn't that big of a deal. Anyone know what barrel I can put on the gun? Will a regular 9x18 barrel work or not?
From what I've been told here, the commercial Bulgarians are the only Maks that cannot be converted to 9x18 from .380. As I understand it, you CAN go from 9x18 TO .380, but not the other way around. Its something to do with the way the thing is made. But hey, look on the bright side, you now have a reason to get a 9x18! Not only that, but I like my Arsenal .380s, I have 2 of them. Some poeple (not me) are complaining about the availability of 9x18. .380 can be bought at almost any Wal-Mart.

Edited to add: Is yours in blue, stainless or phosphate finish? Mine are in phosphate.

Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
The slide is the difference on the 380 commercial Bulgie compared to the Russian ones. So in addition to a barrel change, you'll need a Mak caliber slide, too.(or any Russian slide)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Check with George Fisher at Makarov.com, but I think the bolt face can be radiused to make it accept the 9x18 ammo. Not a big trick for any accomplished gunsmith. CB

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No. Not unless you spend $$ getting the bolt face enlarged. Just keep that one and get a 9x18. Or get any other flavor in .380 and switch it out. But of course you'll need to get a barrel press to do the swap.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I posted the exact same question here a few weeks ago. The answer that I got from George is the same that you are getting from the other guys here. The boly face is different and cannot accept 9x18. Don't mess with it, keep it original, get a different 9x18. Mine is unfired in the box, not sure how yours came, but, I plan on keeping mine that way. It will be worth more money in the long run... Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I wouldn't mind getting another one. This is my first Mak and i'm impressed with the little guns.

Mine came in the box, and it's been fired (not a lot, maybe just test firings) but I bought it to shoot and carry in certain situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts