Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a link to a company that sells "reverse" (squeeze to open) pliers that can be used to remove the barrel bands from an M44. Naturally, I forgot to bookmark it. Would someone who did bookmark it please post the link again? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The only time I could see that someone would need to use pliers to remove the barrel bands would be from an M44 and after you did they would probally be streched and not fit properly when you put them back on. To take the barrel bands off an M91 or M91/30 just remove the front sight and the bands slide right off.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Just buy a pair of snap-ring pliers from any hardware / automotive store. I've used them for years and they work fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bought a split ring plier at Sears - it has small square pads at end of jaws, a bit of filing made the pads thinner and perfect for removing Mosin barrel bands. I "open" the band just enough to pass over forestock w/o scraping shellac finish, works perfectly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Konstanty,

Ditto to what the other guys said. Also, you can get pliers that not only have little pins in the jaws they are also reversible, inner and outer pliers. You do want to use caution when opening the rings. You don't want to permanently bend the steel, just relieve some of the pressure. I have one M44 that the bands are very tight on that I have had to use the pliers on but it would be very easy to scratch the wood or even mess up the barrel bands so be careful.
:)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Konstanty,

Ditto to what the other guys said. Also, you can get pliers that not only have little pins in the jaws they are also reversible, inner and outer pliers. You do want to use caution when opening the rings. You don't want to permanently bend the steel, just relieve some of the pressure. I have one M44 that the bands are very tight on that I have had to use the pliers on but it would be very easy to scratch the wood or even mess up the barrel bands so be careful.
:)
Agreed, JRW. It was because I was afraid to damage either the rings or the handguard (I didn't) by prying the rings open with a small screwdriver blade that I wanted to get the snap-ring pliers. The screwdriver method worked this time, but it's just too risky.

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
Band removal

A piece of wood shaped like a door wedge will work fine, take the cleaning rod out, spread the band with the wedge until the ends are about 1/4 inch apart, with the tip of the wooden wedge going into the cleaning rod channel.

I use a pair of needle nose pliers with the ends ground round to take out the recoil bolt and nut.

regards
badger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts