Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just bought my first trapdoor springfield. This appears to be one that was made in 1887 due to the serial number and the inspector stamp. But what is odd is that it has an 1873 rear sight, front sight, and cleaning rod. Do I have a "bannerman special"? I have also found conflicting information about the model number being on the top of the breech block. Some say springfield never did this and some say it started in 1887. Some help with identification would be appreciated.
Edit- also the rear sight has a locking screw on the right side that can't be seen in the photo. Haven't seen anything like that in any pictures of trapdoors.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The only thing that I see out of place is the rear sight and the cleaning rod. If the serial number is 38280X, the block is correct. They were stamped 1873 or 1884 at Springfield. Shouldn't be any problem trading the sight and cleaning rod for the proper ones ( you should get a little "boot" on the cleaning rod as it is the first type with the solid tip )

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I am not going to dig out my books. I will take for granted your assessment of the parts is correct as verified by the first reply. And you looked up the serial and the stock date is correct. Seems probably not a put-together. I am guessing. The "Model 1884" is fine. You maybe a little overly nervous. The ramrod maybe easy to correct if you want. The sights, might be worth thinking over. I have no opinion or knowledge on that.

I will suggest the barrel may have been replaced. After all this time, I suppose anything is possible.

Gun books typically cost an arm and a leg. For the 45/70 trapdoors, there is a very reasonable price reference that will answer all your questions. "The 45-70 Springfield" by Poyer and Riesch. I hate to ask quesions and get told to buy a book, or go here or there. And yet, now I am the guy doing that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not going to dig out my books. I will take for granted your assessment of the parts is correct as verified by the first reply. And you looked up the serial and the stock date is correct. Seems probably not a put-together. I am guessing. The "Model 1884" is fine. You maybe a little overly nervous. The ramrod maybe easy to correct if you want. The sights, might be worth thinking over. I have no opinion or knowledge on that.

I will suggest the barrel may have been replaced. After all this time, I suppose anything is possible.

Gun books typically cost an arm and a leg. For the 45/70 trapdoors, there is a very reasonable price reference that will answer all your questions. "The 45-70 Springfield" by Poyer and Riesch. I hate to ask quesions and get told to buy a book, or go here or there. And yet, now I am the guy doing that.
Thank you for the info. I will look into getting one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.