Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bamboo Rod???

Topic:

Topic author: rcb
Subject: Bamboo Rod???
Posted on: 05/10/2005 10:32:59 PM

I got an rifle from Auction today and this wooden rod was in the cleaning rod hole. Would not come out till I mashed the square release. Rifle was a 37th series. Do you suppose it could be of Japanese origin? rcb.

Replies:

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 05/10/2005 10:41:13 PM
Maybe, but I don't know what purpose it would serve. The short (screw-in)rods were meant to be used as weights for a string attached to a patch. The wood rod wouldn't be very strong for stacking purposes - I wouldn't think. Has anyone seen photos of Japanese arms stacked? I don't think I ever have.

Reply author: rcb
Replied on: 05/10/2005 11:08:55 PM
I read someplace that Japanese soldiers would whittle a rod out of bamboo when they lost the real one. This one does have something that looks like black paint on it. On a dark night and a fast horse it might pass for a real rod but not on close inspection. rcb.

Replied on: 05/10/2005 11:52:16 PM
There was a rifle that went around many times on one of the auction sites with a rod like this. Is this it? If so, thanks! I was tired of seeing that listing! Sorry, don't mean to sound mean, it's just that it was listed to sound like it was something everyone needed for their collection.

Reply author: akb
Replied on: 05/10/2005 11:58:17 PM
Archaeologists have a term for this--it is called an expediency tool.
It is an item made on the spot, functions like something else that was there then, but now is gone; a very important artifact, almost always highly underrated.
For example, at the Lubbock Lake Site, in Lubbock, TX, a horse cannon bone-to be more precise, a tarso-metatarsus--was used as an anvil upon which a bunch of bison, or other flesh, was cut with a flint knife. The meaning of this, that was lost at the time of interpretation, was that after the horses were butchered and eaten, that is, used up (after they ate the horses, circa 9,500 B.C.E.), the bones themselves became tools for the people living there.
So this guy lost his cleaning rod end, and made himself another one; to me, interpretable,understandable human behavior.
Just my take on your find, and this item!

Reply author: War is Peace
Replied on: 05/11/2005 12:56:29 AM
I have several Type 99 rifles with short, hand-carved wooden rods. All were acquired years ago for $30-$50 each, long before most of the fakery began. I have no doubt that whatever the reason, the rods were made and affixed by Japanese soldiers.

Reply author: rcb
Replied on: 05/11/2005 07:08:54 AM
Thanks,the rifle was not advertised with the rod so I don't think this is the one you mentioned Arisakadog. Good momento anyway. rcb

Reply author: The Outlaw Josey Whales
Replied on: 05/13/2005 3:02:20 PM
I've seen several pictures of stacked Japanese rifles. Stacked three rifles to a stack just like we used to do (still do?). Check "Fightning Tactic and Techinques of a Japanese Infantryman" for photos of this. Brett

Reply author: Francis C. Allan
Replied on: 05/14/2005 12:24:24 PM

Could you send me an e-mail message as I am trying to reach you regarding another issue. I can not seem to get an e-mail message to send to you through GunBoards for some reason.

Thanks.

Frank

Reply author: ken_hable
Replied on: 05/19/2005 9:31:02 PM
I will be posting several items. My son is here helping me with the postings. Hope to get some information and also show some interesting items.

The first item is a bamboo cleaning rod. It is with a 20th series T-99 so should have a long rod. This bamboo rod is the same length as the original rod. I would like to find out what the kanji written on it is. Hope the pictures are good enough to read. Thanks – Ken

View attachment 11473
Download Attachment:

231.89 KB

View attachment 11474
Download Attachment:
192.75 KB

View attachment 11475
Download Attachment:
185.37 KB

Replied on: 05/20/2005 12:00:35 AM
Well, I'll be darned! This one even has the black paint, as well. I've sure learned a lot from this forum!

Reply author: Edokko
Replied on: 05/20/2005 12:24:59 AM
The writings are in Katakana and says "Sakakibara", name of the guy who owned it. I bet he really didn't wan't to lose or have it stolen again !
Great piece !!

Reply author: RedLvr63
Replied on: 05/20/2005 8:26:02 PM
Sorry about the less than stellar scan...

They are stacked 3 to a set using the bayonet quillions

I think I may have a better picture somewhere...
View attachment 11476
Download Attachment:
150.03 KB

Reply author: CW
Replied on: 05/25/2005 02:59:55 AM

Reply author: RedLvr63
Replied on: 05/25/2005 08:51:05 AM
Your scan came out MUCH better than mine...

Replied on: 05/25/2005 09:20:01 AM
Very nice photo! When I was into Civil War reenacting we used out bayonets for stacking, as well. Those old socket bayonets produce a really 'tight' stack, if done properly. I'd be curious to know how tight a stack these Japanese bayonets produced. Loose stacks tend to collapse.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I got a PM asking about bamboo rods from a new guy. He had used the search thingy and found this old post from the old board! I thought I would bounce this up to the top and see what has been learned about the use of bamboo rods in the last three years.

Welcome aboard Trops79!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bamboo Cleaning Rod

Thanks Ray.

Yes, I recently picked up a T99 Kokura 21st series and it has what appears to be a bamboo cleaning rod. The rod is nicely made and fits perfectly. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this before and if any conclusions were made. I'll post some photos later tonight.

Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Kokura series 20, (44,97X) (wings, pod hole, chromed) cannot take a cleaning rod... because someone broke off a dowel or something wayyy down in there. Couldn't reach it disassembled, don't want to drill.

And I know it should have had a steel cleaning rod... right?

Mike

·
Silver Bullet member
2,135 Posts
Have you slid the middle band forward to see if the stock has been duffle cut and repaired by gluing in a wooden peg in the cleaning rod hole. riceone.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,370 Posts
Thats a different one. There was one in a rifle at the allentown show, I really want to get an example, but passed cause the rifle was lacking in too many departments

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, this bamboo rod is shorter, probably 2/3 of the original size. The top portion (the end) is part of the whole rod made from the same piece of bamboo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts